free website stats program Wet regulator | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet regulator

Mavagrand

OK, here's the story. Coming home from work yesterday I got caught in a vicious rain storm. Rained so hard the roads flooded to the point my floor boards were under water. I pulled under some cover and waited for the rain to stop. Rode home. While riding tonight, I had my low beams/passing lights on along with crash bar mounted fog lights. I noticed when bike was at idle the voltage meter dropped to around 13v. When I activated the turn signals, the meter would fluctuate between 12v and 13v. Soon as I got above idle the meter would go back to normal. My bike has never done this before, she is an 08 EGC that I keep on a battery tender. I suspect this is possible related to my voltage regulator getting wet in yesterdays storm. Is that possible? How suseptible is the voltage regulator to moisture? what do these symptoms sound like to you guys? I have a lengthy road planned in august so need to get this squared away before then. thanx for the help. IF I turned off the fog lights and passing lights then the meter seemed ok and only had a slight twitch with the turn signal on.

Don't know about the regulator doing that, they are epoxy potted and fairly water proof too but anything is possible, See what happens when it dries out and go from there.

The voltage regulator itself can probably be submerged without damage. Now the two connectors coming out of it are a different story. I would take a close look and them,,, dry them out,, squeeze the pins, dielectric,, etc..

If the water was really that high, for the cost of a qt of oil, I would change the primary. A small amount of water going around and around would tear that baby up. Too risky for me.

Hoop has you covered...dry and clean the mating connectors and put dielectric grease in there to fill the connector "void", that will essentially seal out water...an old trailer/RV/towing trick to prevent intermittant connectors, works on motorcycles too!

NEWHD74FAN, good thing it never rains here! I got caught in two rains this year. One coming home from Bakersfield a few months ago and a few weeks ago in Big Bear. Luckily no flooding like MAVAGRAND ran into. Bike got a little dirty and not being used to riding in rain was a little tenuous but that was it. I like your idea about the dielectric grease in the wires going into the primary case. I always remove my regulator when changing oil as it makes it real easy to keep it clean. I see where the wires enter the primary and as Glider said the regulator is potted. Might be a good idea for MAVAGRAND to look closely at the regulator to see if there are any voids in the potting compound. I wonder if his lower lights might be wet and going to ground?

I'm sure there vast improvments between my 95 and yours but my volt meter bounces like crazy when the directionals are on normal.

I'm sure there vast improvments between my 95 and yours but my volt meter bounces like crazy when the directionals are on normal.

I live in cetral florida also...mean thunderstorms. I also have a 96 that meter goes to 12 volts at idle ,as soon as there is a load it goes to the high 13's.

The guys above have got you covered. You might use some starter fluid spray to help dry out the connectors. BUT BE CAREFUL. Stuff is very flamible - duh, right?

I would go as far as suggesting you replace all the lubricating fluids. You do not want any more water in there then occures from condensation. Emulsion in the lubricating system in not good.

Open up all your non-sealed lights and drain out any water and dry out with paper towels. Re-apply some lube and install the bulbs unless you have LEDs.

Check through all your wiring that is low down on the chassis and clean out any connectors.

Park the bike in the sun for a while and let it dry out for a few hours.

See how that does.

TQ

Back