free website stats program Wet or Dry Clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet or Dry Clutch

rgoot01

I am looking at replacing my current clutch pack with one that can be run wet or dry. Are there any advantages to running either way? Does this mean I choose whether I run wet or dry? If one decided to run dry does it have to be completely dry or would oil create a slipping issue if say a engine seal was leaking?

I have both wet and dry clutch bikes. The open dry clutch is noisier, and makes some dust. A wet clutch is quieter, and should last longer, with less adjusting.
A wet/dry clutch will function with some oil on it, that's how Harleys ran for years.

A wet/dry clutch will function with some oil on it, that's how Harleys ran for years.

By wet/dry do you mean soaking clutch pack in oil prior to installing and eliminating oil in primary? How does this set up and a dry effect the primary chain? Would I have to oil primary chain like I would for a chain final drive?

By wet/dry do you mean soaking clutch pack in oil prior to installing and eliminating oil in primary? How does this set up and a dry effect the primary chain? Would I have to oil primary chain like I would for a chain final drive?

Older bikes used to have Oil drip onto the needed areas inside the primary and leak out onto the ground. Some would only use a very Small amount of lube in the Primary and IF you put too much in it would Slip the clutch...

BELIEVE ME,,, You Don't want to go this route with your Bike. Keep it a wet clutch and be happy... What is wrong with keeping it stock?

I Have Never liked the looks,NOISE and the feel of a Dry,Out in the Open clutch. (.)

Now IF you do? go for it...

signed....BUBBIE

'70-'84 4 speeds were a dry clutch. They had a small line from the oil pump to the rear and center part of the primary to drip on to the primary chain as BUBBIE stated. The oil was then returned to the oil tank via a vacuum line at the lower r/h corner of the inner primary. The clutch would basically remain dry. Most people converted them to a Wet/Dry clutch some where down the line for better all around lubricating. They would normally leak out a small amount of Primary fluid from the starter housing area due to the fact that it was not designed to be a wet system.
Your '89 should be a Wet system and I would agree with the others to stay with it Wet.
If you're wanting an Open Primary then that is a different story.
tourbox

Thank you for the help in understanding wet or dry clutches. I do plan on keeping it as a wet set-up. I was just wanting to know what it meant by a wet or dry application. It can't hurt to know as much as I possibly can.

'70-'84 4 speeds were a dry clutch. They had a small line from the oil pump to the rear and center part of the primary to drip on to the primary chain as BUBBIE stated. The oil was then returned to the oil tank via a vacuum line at the lower r/h corner of the inner primary. The clutch would basically remain dry. Most people converted them to a Wet/Dry clutch some where down the line for better all around lubricating. They would normally leak out a small amount of Primary fluid from the starter housing area due to the fact that it was not designed to be a wet system.
Your '89 should be a Wet system and I would agree with the others to stay with it Wet.
If you're wanting an Open Primary then that is a different story.
tourbox

there were 5 speeds that had dry clutches as well My 1984 FLTC is a 5 speed dry clutch

Nice to know Info kino1967. I have never worked on an '84 5 speed. Didn't know they were dry also.
tourbox

Back