free website stats program Wet front cylinder spark plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet front cylinder spark plug

Mjolnir

Hi there,

I have a 2004 1200 XLC. Picked up a vibration at midrange recently with slight loss of power going uphill. Proceeded to check all engine/ frame mounts etc. All good.

During this process decided to check idf spark plugs are tight as I thought that that might be the reason for loss of power. Discovered that the rear piston spark plug burns nicely but the front piston spark plug was slightlty wet and smelled of fuel. Also noticed that the frame close to the front exhaust is dirty with black root.

Could this be an indication of:
1. Burnt/ damaged valves?
2. Damaged piston rings?
3. Combination of both?
4. Other?

Thought of having a compression test done and then see what gives?

Any advice will be most welcome.

Could be a simple ignition problem. Perform a proper compression test or cylinder leakage test and you will know where you stand.

Carb bike? Has any performance mods or bone stock. Mileage on engine. Some info helps.

Trying a New set of 6R12's from HD,,, good and inexpensive to do...

Along with a new ignition wire set, color matched are good and not costly.

Being an 04 IF never changed, wires Might contribute to this problem.

signed....BUBBIE

I missed all that you will do Listed under your post,,,,I Must be going Blind here..... Check all and the simple things first.

Keep it simple as Bubbie and Hoople have said, could very well be as simple as a bad plug and or wire, compression test first:s

The gaskets between the head and the exhaust header pipe may need replaced but the nuts holding the header pipe in place can come loose and give a wee exhaust leak
Compression test new plugs and wires is the way i would go to start with

Brian

Back