free website stats program Wet Bike | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet Bike

Well I must say I never thought I'd get a lot of response to my initial question, but I've really gotten some good idears from all of them. Since I put the 1/2" plywood under my bike and left the cover off, it hasn't been wet, but also the weather has been nice 50-70 degrees. Tonight, however, its going to upper 20s, so time will tell. Thanks TOP, The little tent in the garage was neat, but I don't have the room for it. That would nix Roy's idear also. If the plywood will continue to work then I'm good to go.
Thanks for your input SLICK02. I know I've heard a story about WD40 being used on HH planes and that being the real jump start for it.
I bought my 01 Softail springer in 08, w/1600mi on it, so it spent a lot of time parked in a garage. I found little areas on the bottom of the primary cover and the chrome cover over the tranny w/bubbles in the chrome. I'll bet condensation caused that.

Thanks guys, and HAPPY NEW YEARS, Mac

Mac Happy New Year I have the same problem as you and I would bet that your going to have the same thing happen as soon as the outside air heats up faster than the garage itself and everything in it . My dads garage is sheetrocked and insulated and anything thats metal in it sweats as soon as this happens . Im 99% certian that it has to be heated to solve the problem

Roy
New York -10 outside get me out of here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac,
Great question! I put my Ultra away in the garage and to my horror I noticed exactly what you are talking about. It happens when the air out side is warmer than the air inside. But when it is feezing cold inside AND out, I don't seem to have that problem. I wound up spraying all of the chrome with WD40 to get me through 'till Spring. I may have to look into the bubble that has been suggested here.

Horizion Sorry to hear about your bike getting wet . I just built a 4x4x6x8 insulated storage crate and i put a small oil filled heater inside set at 60 so its warm inside there and there wont be any more condensation issues with mine

Roy

Horizion. You're right, when its warmer outside than inside we get sweating. Since I've been parking my bike on a sheet of plywood it stays pretty dry. The one time it started to sweat in the shop I placed a small fan on a stool in front of the bike so air could move down both sides and it stayed dry. I think the part of the country you live in has a lot to do with it. Like its been in the 30s and 40s (day time), the first part of the week and will be 61 tomorrow. yew, 61 and I have headcold, like big time.
Mac

right I for one am in my first year of the light bulb thing. I use a 40 watt and it is in a trouble light fixture. Keeps the bike at 32 on a 5 degree day. (with cover ofcourse)

Back