free website stats program Wet Bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet Bike

Mac2000HS

Hey guys, just a quick question. I park my springer in my uninsulated garage and when conditions are right (or wrong in this case), my bike gets dripping wet from condensation. I've tried putting my cover over it, to no avail. Is there a secret to keeping the bike dry?? I thought maybe a small fan or heater under the cover?? Anyone know any tricks here, please reply.

Wishing all a great CHRISTmas and New Years holiday.
Mac

Put the cover on and mount a lightbulb on a piece of plywood and put it under the bike, if your still having a problem put a small fan in front of the bike to keep the air moving

That bubble is about $300 though...not cheap for something that looks awful fragile to me. And the light-bulb under the cover trick always seems like a fire waiting to happen.....and NOT a fire I see your homeowners policy covering! Maybe I'm a little paranoid here, or maybe a little "fraidy-cat", (not something I have ever been called unless they were referring to my fear of Cathy), but that whole light bulb thing sounds great in theory but bad in execution.

If you mount the socket to a firm surface such as plywood there is no danger we have been doing this for 30yrs. to keep our welding rods dry. also you only need a 40-60 watt bulb, not 150

Steve, what about the gas fumes that can collect under the cover and the spark capability of the bulb when you turn it on or off? It would only take the slightest amount of gas fumes to ignite, and the chain reaction to the tank would be instantaneous. Now maybe with the newer rides this is a non-issue, but I remember smelling gas whenever I'd walk into the garage years ago (I'm talking the 70's here), coming from my old Sporties. My XLCH 900, man, you could smell that scoot before you opened the door!

By that theory when you turn on the garage light it would cause spontanious combustion. Gasoline requiresa spark generating 850 degrees to burn.This is not my theory it's a fact.

You may try to lay a piece of 4x8 plywood on the floor and park your bike on it and see if it helps. I parked mine in a 10x13x7 un-insulated metal shed with plywood floor and cover the bike with an el cheapo bike's cover from wally world, no moisture on the bike, the bike stays dry(but cold) during the last heavy snow we got, I just sholved my way to the shed and checking on the bike again, no sweat that I can see, the cover stay dry too.

I really appreciate all the responce. Since I don't have the room for the bubble, sounds like the plywood on the floor and a 40 - 60 watt bulb mounted in such a way that it can't move is the way I should go. I used to put a light bult inside a coffee can and put it in the dog house for the dog during winter. It gave out some heat. Some good idears here. Thanks.

Mac

I suppose you could try a dehumidifier. I don't know what they cost to run and some require that you dump the water. Also I am wondering if parking the bike on a mat would help.

I am surprised someone hasn't suggested you bring her into the house. My guess is Smitty would.

I suppose you could try a dehumidifier. I don't know what they cost to run and some require that you dump the water. Also I am wondering if parking the bike on a mat would help.

I am surprised someone hasn't suggested you bring her into the house. My guess is Smitty would.

Tuck her in to stay warm by the fire on tose cold winter nights!:bigsmiley20:

Hey now, thats an idear. I used to do that. Restored a 60s something T120 Bonniville in a back bed room some years back, as a winter's project. Was between wives then. This one would never stand for that. I put plywood under her tonight and the floor was already getting wet. We'll see what happens.
Mac

Hey guys, just a quick question. I park my springer in my uninsulated garage and when conditions are right (or wrong in this case), my bike gets dripping wet from condensation. I've tried putting my cover over it, to no avail. Is there a secret to keeping the bike dry?? I thought maybe a small fan or heater under the cover?? Anyone know any tricks here, please reply.

Wishing all a great CHRISTmas and New Years holiday.
Mac
Can I ask what kind of weather you have to have your bike "sweat" as it does? What area do you live in?

Back