Wet Bike

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Mac2000HS, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Mac2000HS

Mac2000HS Member

Hey guys, just a quick question. I park my springer in my uninsulated garage and when conditions are right (or wrong in this case), my bike gets dripping wet from condensation. I've tried putting my cover over it, to no avail. Is there a secret to keeping the bike dry?? I thought maybe a small fan or heater under the cover?? Anyone know any tricks here, please reply.

Wishing all a great CHRISTmas and New Years holiday.
    Mac

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Put the cover on and mount a lightbulb on a piece of plywood and put it under the bike, if your still having a problem put a small fan in front of the bike to keep the air moving

3. STEVE07

If you mount the socket to a firm surface such as plywood there is no danger we have been doing this for 30yrs. to keep our welding rods dry. also you only need a 40-60 watt bulb, not 150

4. STEVE07

By that theory when you turn on the garage light it would cause spontanious combustion. Gasoline requiresa spark generating 850 degrees to burn.This is not my theory it's a fact.

5. SeaRider04

SeaRider04 Active Member

You may try to lay a piece of 4x8 plywood on the floor and park your bike on it and see if it helps. I parked mine in a 10x13x7 un-insulated metal shed with plywood floor and cover the bike with an el cheapo bike's cover from wally world, no moisture on the bike, the bike stays dry(but cold) during the last heavy snow we got, I just sholved my way to the shed and checking on the bike again, no sweat that I can see, the cover stay dry too.

6. Mac2000HS

Mac2000HS Member

I really appreciate all the responce. Since I don't have the room for the bubble, sounds like the plywood on the floor and a 40 - 60 watt bulb mounted in such a way that it can't move is the way I should go. I used to put a light bult inside a coffee can and put it in the dog house for the dog during winter. It gave out some heat. Some good idears here. Thanks.

Mac

7. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

I suppose you could try a dehumidifier. I don't know what they cost to run and some require that you dump the water. Also I am wondering if parking the bike on a mat would help.

I am surprised someone hasn't suggested you bring her into the house. My guess is Smitty would.

8. STEVE07

Tuck her in to stay warm by the fire on tose cold winter nights!:bigsmiley20:

9. Mac2000HS

Mac2000HS Member

Hey now, thats an idear. I used to do that. Restored a 60s something T120 Bonniville in a back bed room some years back, as a winter's project. Was between wives then. This one would never stand for that. I put plywood under her tonight and the floor was already getting wet. We'll see what happens.
    Mac

10. dogdad

dogdad Active Member

Can I ask what kind of weather you have to have your bike "sweat" as it does? What area do you live in?