free website stats program We're Selling Out | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

We're Selling Out

Doc there is one facet I did not cover in my previous posts. When you said the car crossed over into their lane, was the car going the same direction as your friends or was it oncoming traffic ?

If the car (going the same direction) came into their lane, then yes a bike would make you more vulnerable to injury, if there were no avenue of exit or swerving away. But depending on variables, if you wore a helmet, this could be a survivable incident.

But a vehicle coming across the median (from the opposite direction) I don't think anyones chances (even in a cage) would be good on that. Just something to think about.

Car was coming toward them and hit them head on. All good points. Thanks.

Sorry for your loss..But if your friends would have died in a car..you would be selling your car?...The motorcycle is being blamed for the loss of your friends and that's not right...Getting killed doing something you love is not a tragedy...getting killed walking out to get your mail...now that's a tragedy...You can't tell me that someone like Dale Earnhardt would not have chosen the exact way he left this world...turn 4 on the last lap of the Daytona 500...over any other scenario...I have told my family and friends do not cry if I die while on my bike,because I left this world doing what I love to do...and put it on my headstone!...

Yeah, If I knew someone that choked on a ham sandwich and died I would quit eating too.

Face it...the risks of riding cant be compared to everyday events. This is just my opinion. Sure, telling the family not to cry if I die is one way for me to deal with it but I guess I put too much stock into their fears and feelings.

We all deal with things differently. I appreciate the concern.

Well here's the thing.

I am ready to get back on and ride. Things happen in life and this is one of "those things". The dilema for me is my family and friends. Sister and Bro in law already sold there's. Paula is done and that leaves me. Fine..I could find other riding friends no problem. I already have a few. But the rest of the family is so uncomfortable with me riding now that I am giving it up for them.

Years ago we had a nice boat. We live along the Columbia River and love to fish. I am planning to get back into fishing and will have a nice boat rather than a Harley at least for a while. For now I want the family to rest easy and not worry about me riding. My folks are getting up in years and my Dad loves to fish too. I plan to spend as much quality time with them as possible and not have them worry about me on a bike.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and I guarantee...I'll be back on 2 wheels someday.

Doc63, really feel for your recent loss of your friends. I am inclined to think like Dbmg regarding take modest steps sell one and keep one under wraps, and if your wife has made her decision I would honor that...regarding you...let time pass...like you I have been riding a very long time, so the decision will take longer.

Doc , Very sorry for your loss. Only you can decide what is best for you. People sometimes think "it only happens to other people", but it doesn't. The closer the friends or relation the worse it gets. I never thought I would lose a Grandchild, but I did. Shouldn't happen this way, why God? I am blessed with 6 other Grandkids, Thank You God. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
wilks3

I can't speak for all, but there have been times when I have wondered if riding was really worth the risk for me as well. You have made the best choice for you. Good luck and I am sure your family appreciate the sacrifice you have made for them.

Death of people close to us always hurts, Some times it makes us question our own life.
Life is a risk. We manage it on our own terms. When I was a Dad with young children all risk was managed with them in mind. Now they are grown rules change.
I offer this as someone that has come close to losing this moral life a few times. I have faced the fact I will not live forever as I am now. And sitting on the couch might kill me faster than the bike. I chose to ride and manage that risk as best I can.
What you do is up to you and your family and no one else.
I am sure your old enough to know your view of events in life change with time. Give your self that some time to weigh the risks.

Ditto this,
I hope you find comfort in your decision
Harley

In a lot of my own personal "life hits you from behind" kind of events. My Immidiate response most often is 90 to 180 degrees off of what ends up being the ultimate outcome. Just take some time to reflect on things and in a couple of months you may have a different outlook. Good luck, and take care.

I gess none of us really know what it would take to get us off the bike untill it happens...My wife doesnt ride and she worrys alot me but thats not going to make me quit..When I raced cars I saw a frend hit the wall so hard he died. Yes It hurts but I didnt stop racing because I loved doing it. Mabe if I was in a bad crash on my bike or I saw one happen I would think about geting off the bike..I know you loved your frend and I am verry sorry but I cant help but wonder....Did you love riding before this happen Also...I mean no disrespect to you sir.

Doc,

Sorry for your loss. It's always tough when things like this happen to people you know well. You have to do what you have to do.

I always like the idea of making "In Memory patches" Everyone talking about how it is not the worst way to meet your Maker. I know I have my appointed day coming and there is no getting around it. Of course that don't make it any easier for those left behind. Sorry for you loss.

Back