free website stats program well, that was a surprise | Harley Davidson Forums

well, that was a surprise

macmic87

1999 fatboy and gave it the first oil change since I have owned it (5 days). new filter and 3 quarts of 20w-50. finally got the registration and was happy to go for the first official ride. after a nice 12 mile trip, pull back into the garage and shut it off. wait a few minutes and stand it up to check oil. pull the dip stick and oil comes running out (darn it!!!). must have pulled out almost a quart and a half to get a normal reading. guess next time a should get it running for awhile before I changed it next time. oil must have drained into sump. has me thinking that maybe I should drain it again and put in fresh since there must have been leftovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try 2 1/2 quarts of oil next time. There will always be almost 1 qt of oil left in the crank case when you change your oil

Jack is right on here, just changed mine, added exactly 2.5 quarts and after a short ride was halfway up on dip stick.

Where did you drain oil from when doing change? It is highly unlikely, but possible that a new owner drained the transmission, then put 3 qts. back into a tank that was very low on oil. Check your transmission oil level. I just want you to make sure you are not running an empty transmission.

there is a hose with a plug in it. that is where I drained the engine oil from the tank. the trans drain is between the shocks, right?

It is best to get the engine oil nice and warm before draining it it will wash through the whole engine and pick up any deposits laying there and the oil will flow much better from the oil tank
I have a 20 mile round trip i do prior to an oil change just watch for the hot bits when working on the bike

Brian

Not sure about your '99, but on my 2007 FXST, the oil level has to be checked with the bike leaning over on the kickstand.

Back