free website stats program well got the job done | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

well got the job done

what size type of tool or adapter do you use for the front exhaust port i'm going to change my head pipes too and the very front exhaust stud looks like it will be a pain to get too.:small3d012:

I used a 1/2" or 1/4" drive universal joint extension. Not the easiest nuts to get to, but it got the job done and allowed for me to torque it down with relative accuracy.

By the way... welcome to the forum from another Northwest Atlanta'er!

chief9042 Thank you for relating your experience.I am reluctant to work on my bike but find great satisfaction after the job is done and have more $ for bling!

Congrats on the install! I'm really enjoying mine.

I have to ask though, how did you lose all of your transmission fluid onto the floor? You mentioned loosening the lower bolts on the transmission cover. Why did you need to do that? I only removed the two header bracket bolts located below the transmission cover. This should not have caused any fluid to leak (unless I am missing something here).

tpt4qy
That looks like what I did. I loosened thoses two bolts and left it over night. That is where the oil leaked out. I should of tightened them before I went home. I guess it just let the cover come out a bit and leak. I might have misspoke about it being the tranny cover. It was the whole side plate that I am talking about.

hardest part was cleaning up the oil . guess u dont have cats ? lol good job u just have to take it slow when u do something. double read it to make sure u understand it right

thanx jdpeagle appreciate the welcome. i think i have a wobble extension, i bought another set of 2010 headpipes and gutted them. they are getting welded back up right now, maybe a little heat will be gone without the cat. going to get a tfi and hiflow filter next.

Nice to hear you got it done, good for you you saved a ton of money. I took those two bolts off the trans but no oil leaked out of mine. Maybe that's why my trans makes so much noise in 5th gear.:(

Bill

That looks like what I did. I loosened thoses two bolts and left it over night. That is where the oil leaked out.

Chief-

If you only loosened the two header bracket bolts and oil leaked out of those two holes, you might have a serious problem. I reviewed my manuals, and looked over my bike again. You should not have needed to loosen any of the 6 transmission/clutch cover bolts. If any of these six bolts were loosened or removed, then yes, transmission fluid could have come out.

I apologize if I have not followed your post correctly, but if transmission fluid came out of either of the header bracket bolt holes, then you might want to have someone take a look at it. That should not happen at all.

Below is an image of the two bolts I am asking about. They are the only bolts that you should have needed to remove/loosen.

rh8cq6

The cover above these two bolts does contain transmission fluid, and should not have needed to be loosened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief-

If you only loosened the two header bracket bolts and oil leaked out of those two holes, you might have a serious problem. I reviewed my manuals, and looked over my bike again. You should not have needed to loosen any of the 6 transmission/clutch cover bolts. If any of these six bolts were loosened or removed, then yes, transmission fluid could have come out.

I apologize if I have not followed your post correctly, but if transmission fluid came out of either of the header bracket bolt holes, then you might want to have someone take a look at it. That should not happen at all.

Below is an image of the two bolts I am asking about. They are the only bolts that you should have needed to remove/loosen.

rh8cq6

The cover above these two bolts does contain transmission fluid, and should not have needed to be loosened.
I don't believe the oil came out of the bolt holes. I think that it leaked from the seam where the whole cover goes against the motor. The two bolts shown in your picture are the ones that I removed. The directions said to remove the bolts then put the mounting bracket on but do not fully tighten incase you need to make small adjustments. So thats what i did but I had to go home and it sat for 24 hours. It was not a lot of oil (only about 4-6 ounces if that). I hope I don't have any problems.

Okay. I'm surprised that any transmission fluid would have leaked without any loosening of the cover bolts. You had said that all of your transmission fluid had drained out in your original post, and any transmission that completely "relieves" itself without the intentional loosening of a plug, gasket, or cover is pretty suspect and in serious need of repair.

Just make sure that the cover bolts are torqued to spec and enjoy the ride!!!

Congrats again.

Back