free website stats program Weird 'chirping' noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Weird 'chirping' noise

JeromeyS

I have a 03 FXDWG with roughly 18,000 miles on it. A problem that I have had since it was brand new and the dealer could never find out is that it has a strange chirping noise when you back off the throttle. It is more predominant when the bike is cold, but does not always go away when it gets warm. It was in to the dealer at least half a dozen times and they could never get it figured out so I finally gave up on them. I was tired paying for it after the warranty was up. From the driver's seat it seems to be coming from the front end, which led me to think it was the wheel bearing. When you back off the throttle hard, all the weight is shifted forwards. The bearings were changed and it was good for a while, but is back again. When my wife is riding, she thinks that it is coming from the back of the bike. Has anyone else heard this weird noise and been able to fix it? Thanks.

I have a 03 FXDWG with roughly 18,000 miles on it. A problem that I have had since it was brand new and the dealer could never find out is that it has a strange chirping noise when you back off the throttle. It is more predominant when the bike is cold, but does not always go away when it gets warm. It was in to the dealer at least half a dozen times and they could never get it figured out so I finally gave up on them. I was tired paying for it after the warranty was up. From the driver's seat it seems to be coming from the front end, which led me to think it was the wheel bearing. When you back off the throttle hard, all the weight is shifted forwards. The bearings were changed and it was good for a while, but is back again. When my wife is riding, she thinks that it is coming from the back of the bike. Has anyone else heard this weird noise and been able to fix it? Thanks.

Loosen up the front rubber motor mount and with the bike off the side stand let it idle for a minute then tighten all the mount bolts back while it is standing up right. If this don't fixe it take it in for an alignment with the lazors tools the dealer has.

Thanks Doc 1. Once I get the bike put back together from my oil pressure problem I will do that. Hopefully this is soon.

I get that same noise on my 03 Road King. I'll have to try Doc'e suggestion. I had to replace the nut and washer on the front motor mount a few years back because...well...one day they were just gone, if you can believe that. They fell off somewhere and I'm not sure how long I rode around without the front of my motor not bolted down. I don't think the noise was there before that, but I never put the two together.....hopefully it works...:yes

Doc 1 is the man with the answers for sure!:s

I'm not saying this is the fix....I'm just pointing out an area I found to get rid of the chirping sound. Sometimes the drag links on the top motor mount will chirp as the engine bounces around at idle, if it is the drag link will have to be replaced. You can bet it's in the movement though, lol.

Back