free website stats program weathered leather saddlebags | Harley Davidson Forums

weathered leather saddlebags

03ultra45385

We just got a second bike, a 2012 Heritage softail and the saddle bags have spent a lot of time exposed to the rain and no preventive care. We have the Saggy bags kit but I want to care for the leather and get the bags closer to there original shape before I try and install the saggy bag kit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forum Fiend v1.2.8.

Scuff magic liquid shoe polish. Make em look like new. It may take a few applications.

Try Lexol leather conditioner and leather new. They are available at Ace Hardware and TSC stores. I have also had good luck with saddle rubs also available at TSC

May I suggest a good cleaning with saddle soap followed by an application of neatsfoot oil. I think you will be pleased with the results.

When I bought my 2000 Heritage back in 2008, the bags needed a little work. I used saddle soap to clean and soften the leather. Waited a few days and then used black liquid shoe polish and buffed them out real good. (try to keep the shoe polish off the chrome spots or remove it before it dries) Then I installed the saggy bags kit. They looked better than brand new. The saggy bags kit helps keeps their shape and look like hard bags, but made of leather. I really liked it. Here's a pic of them when they were about 12 yrs. old.

Attachments

• My bike2.jpg
    My bike2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 53
Try Lexol leather conditioner and leather new. They are available at Ace Hardware and TSC stores. I have also had good luck with saddle rubs also available at TSC

My 20+ yr. old bags still looked good because I always used leather products on them. But the leather was deforming, etc. A couple of good applications of Neatsfoot oil softened them up, and got them back to shape. I applied it to BOTH sides, the rough side really soaks it up.

Has anyone ever seen a "neat", do they have large oily feet, or many oily feet?:dknow

My 20+ yr. old bags still looked good because I always used leather products on them. But the leather was deforming, etc. A couple of good applications of Neatsfoot oil softened them up, and got them back to shape. I applied it to BOTH sides, the rough side really soaks it up.

Has anyone ever seen a "neat", do they have large oily feet, or many oily feet?:dknow

A neat is a horned oxen however the shin and foot of any type of cattle can be made into neatsfoot oil

Brian

kiwi-mink-oil.jpg

I use this on ALL my leather, I put it on heavy, let it soak in, and add polish if needed

Is there anything that can be done about the right bag getting too close to pipes if it starts sagging a bit or overloaded? I almost feel that the right bag is basically useless.

Chadfish use the above advice to recondition your bags and then this repair will bring them back into shape, Saggy Bag Kit.

Back