free website stats program Weather radio | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Weather radio

Dont know where you were on your trip to Fla. but the weather changes here so fast that you would have to be listening to the radio full time. I know what squall line looks like and when to take evasive action. I dont like all those extra gadgets either, thats why I am on a Road King.

Bodeen

The only problem I've found with relying on the weather radio is that you also have to know where you are! They often mention towns and/or counties that I'm sure the locals are intimately familiar with but if you've been cruising blissfully for several hundred miles, it's easy to lose track of your location!

The only problem I've found with relying on the weather radio is that you also have to know where you are! They often mention towns and/or counties that I'm sure the locals are intimately familiar with but if you've been cruising blissfully for several hundred miles, it's easy to lose track of your location!

DR. Are you saying you dont know where you are sometimes,,?:D

DR. Are you saying you dont know where you are sometimes,,?:D

At least I'm honest enough to admit it! :s

Seriously, what I meant to say was how easy it is to know you're cruising south on Interstate XYZ but have no idea what county you're in or what town is just behind you or just ahead of you. Seems like the smart phone apps or GPS's with weather overlay feature are the best ways to go since they know your exact location.

Good point Doc. Whenever I seem to get caught in a summer squall it is when I am usually heading into the Mountains ( The Berkshires ) in the westerns part of Massachusetts. That's about 100 miles from my home. I don't know what it is but the weather there changes abruptly sometimes. I suppose if I listened to the local station while in that area I might have a better heads up.

Seems like in many places the weather changes so rapidly that weather radio is nearly useless. I have one, but seldom use it. I just wear waterproof textile gear and ride through whatever comes along. I remember one Laconia trip a few years ago my lady and I took a ride around the lake and ran into a downpour and had no time to put on rain gear, or even find a place to pull off the road. Then 20 minutes later it stopped as fast as it began. My friends who were in Weirs Beach about 10 miles away said they saw the clouds but never got a drop.

Haveing the weather radio is not going to solve all your wet riding problems...but it has saved me a couple times when riding ..saw the sky looking kinda funky...tuned to the radio and it told me about a hail storm about 20 miles north ,,turned south toward the house and beat the hail storm home only by about 5 mins. it is just another tool in your bag tricks that my or my not save your behind on any given day ...there is allways commom seanse .. some times you get pounded and sometimes you don't... beeing prepared is you best tool for what mother nature throws at you... sometimes you win and sometimes you don't...And if you get a bad feeling about something going on...you are probly right..always trust you inter feeling...If you have ask your self should I realy need to be doing this... then you most likely shouldn't be doing it...Just ride safe and pay attention of your surroundings:TEXAS:TEXAS

Back