free website stats program wear mainshaft 1988 FLHS transmission? | Harley Davidson Forums

wear mainshaft 1988 FLHS transmission?

mrjoe2u

The odometer reads about 64000 miles, however the real reading could be a bit more, since I've bought the bike second hand. Every 15000 miles (more or less) I had to renew the shifter lever cause the internal splines were worn out. The last time I renewed the lever I noticed that I could move the mainshaft of the transmission about 3 millimeters to the left and the right without feeling any resistance.

I have never worked on a HD transmission before but to me it seems a sign of wear, right?

To solve the problem I ordered a new shifter lever with internal splines from hardened steel. This should solve the problem, but the movement in the mainshaft worries me. Does the transmission need a rebuilt?

thank's

hein

Limburg

the Netherlands

thank's there is useful info there. however I already bought another lever with steel splines. what worries me is the mainshaft of the transmission that can be moved to the left and the right. My assumption is that the mainshaft or bearing is worn out and that I'll have to rebuild the transmission, but I'm not sure.

Back