free website stats program weak batt. or charging sys.? | Harley Davidson Forums

weak batt. or charging sys.?

thyrus

New at this so you can laugh :) Bought a '91flhs month ago.93ci.,s&s top end dual plug heads,dual dynagreen coils,twintech 1005 ign,s&s Super G shorty,stock cam? got it in Alabama shiped to So.Cal. so never tested(dummy).First got it would not turn over but had lights,charged it anyway notice the starter sw.hs. was seperated from handbrake fixed that then it started don't know if 1thing had to do w/the other.So it's running but did'nt sound right know what i mean? adjusted carb idle was to slow A/F to lean it help but the batt. was alwas running down and it run good for a while then backfiring acting like no fuel. thougt it could be ign. sw. it was very loose so fixed that checked out the ign. mod. did not know it was equiped w/1005 got on the web site changed the mode setting to singlefire multispark and the advance slope from 2 to 7which is max for that mode setting.It improved the pref. throttle responce way better quicker thru the gears till it started acting fuel starved now it starts when the batt is charged run for bit then die restart run for a second then die this will happen till the batt. wont turn it over.I need to get some stuff and test charging sys. Please don't be stator

welcome to the forum, I had basically the same problem and it turned out to be the battery. It started fine and ran good, then the next time it would barely turn over. but while it was running my battery indicator would show a discharge. I thought it was the stator but I changed the battery and alls well. I hope your turn out to be as simple.

hey Jack thanks for the hospitality and info. I have a question can a weak batt. or faulty charging system cause a misdiagnose as a fuel related problem

To do a simple check of the charging system get the bike started and put a voltage metre across the battery terminals and check the voltage at 2000 rpm should be reading about 14.5 volts if much higher you have a problem if much lower you have a problem

Brian

hey Jack thanks for the hospitality and info. I have a question can a weak batt. or faulty charging system cause a misdiagnose as a fuel related problem

Yes it can, but not that quickly. If the battery has enough juice to start the bike, the ignition system only requires a small amount. I rode my '92 200 miles with a bad regulator after push starting it. Start by verifying the charging system as above posts suggest. Then look for fuel starvation starting at the petcock.

Welcome to the forum! Your problems are our hobby (or sumpin' like that).

Last edited:
Yes it can, but not that quickly. If the battery has enough juice to start the bike, the ignition system only requires a small amount. I rode my '92 200 miles with a bad regulator after push starting it. Start by verifying the charging system as above posts suggest. Then look for fuel starvation starting at the petcock.

As Breeze said, the ignition system takes 9-10 volts to operate, after that it will start to misfire, the charging system will start to suffer then

thanks Breeze this is the first site I've participated in it's a goodtime.I'm 99% sure it's not fuel related...visual confirmation,don't know if that's reliable

Back