free website stats program Ways to enhance the motor.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ways to enhance the motor..

You already done what can be done for 1K or less. Save up more money, and ride more while doing it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

If you really want to install gear drive cams you are wise to weld the crank first. However, instead of tearing the whole motor apart there are plenty of good chain driven cams to choose from. If I were you I'd at least measure the runout of the crank before tearing it all apart. You may have been lucky and gotten a really straight crank. It's also going to cost considerably more time and money for a complete teardown and rebuild. Even if you do all the work yourself.

Swartz, what are some good chain driven cams? And while were on it, is there a benefit to chain driven cams over gear driven (other then the crank shaft tolerances)? I'm gonna open the cam chest and check the shoes for wear.

I would have a close look at the lifters and think about cams and adjustable push rods along with checking crank run out:s

Good idea regarding the lifters, Jack. I'll keep that in mind too. So I take it the only problem area on these TC engines is the cam shoes? Nothing else???

A Panda goes into a resturant and orders a meal.

Waiter serves him, panda eats all, waiter comes back and gives him the bill.

Panda pulls out a gun and Shoots the waiter... Then leaves

The owner catches up to him and askes,
We served you a good meal at a low price and then you shoot my waiter..

Why did you shoot my waiter?

Panda says, Wikipedia,,, look up PANDA...It says Panda= eats shoots and leaves...

so I did...

Moral of this story is IT'S A HARLEY......

signed....BUBBIE

PS.? where do you keep that money hid?

Bubbie, when I started reading this I was wondering where you were going...by the time I finished, I was laughing so hard I no longer cared. :bigsmiley12:

Good idea regarding the lifters, Jack. I'll keep that in mind too. So I take it the only problem area on these TC engines is the cam shoes? Nothing else???

Mainly in the early models up to 07 I think. The shoes and inner cam bearings. 08 they came with the hydraulic tensioners and larger cam bearings.

Swartz, what are some good chain driven cams? And while were on it, is there a benefit to chain driven cams over gear driven (other then the crank shaft tolerances)? I'm gonna open the cam chest and check the shoes for wear.

Changed mine at 26,000 miles when I did my mods and had hardly any wear at all.

On these newer (07 and up) TC motors, I doubt you will find much wear on the new style Hydraulic shoes.. At 25/?29,000? when I did my cam change, the shoes were just fine. The only wear showing was on my outer one...just marks where the chain ran Not grooves just marks (normal wear in)..

The front one did have two little pin holes (factory flaws?) so having bought two new ones I replaced that outer shoe... They are only sold within the complete housing .. So just buying a replacement shoe is a Bummer. Gotta buy the whole unit. :53::53::53::53:

The inner cam shoe showed NO wear or marks at all..Nothing.

Doubt IF they will show much when i tear into the bike on the future 103" build... close to 50,000 now, Maybe rebuild at 60,000 or not...

Sure is running great, But hard to justify all the new parts sitting in boxes waiting to install... oh well, Too nice out ,,, sunny days every day,,, gotta ride...:s

signed....BUBBIE

Let's say I had a thousand dollars lying around the house and a 2008 FLHTC in the garage. My motorcycle is stock with a stage 1, and has 30k trouble free miles. I've added all the "bling" I can stand and don't need anymore T-shirts. I also plan on some long trips over the next few years (I live in Florida, wife has family in Oregon, plan on riding there in the next couple of years) and want the most reliable bike possible. Given all the known issues with HDs TC engines and I have $1K what mods would you guys recommend?

Im thinking of welding the crank shaft and installing gear driven cams.

Sounds like your FLHTC has what it need for a goodly number of miles yet, so why not put the money back in the wallet for now. When traveling with your wife, use a bit to upgrade the motels and restaurants so she gets more enjoyment out of the rides.

So down the line when the bike needs upgrades or repairs the necessary funds will be more readily available as she will know how pleasurable the cycle trips can be. :bigsmiley12:

For cams there are several manufacturers from Andrews, S&S, Crane Cams, etc that all make good cams. The specific model you select will vary greatly upon your riding style and whether or not you want to work on the heads. For instance just go to the Andrews website and they will list what each of the models is intended for.

The benefit in my opinion of chain driven cams vs gear drive is, of course crank tolerance, and also cost. A set of gear drives will cost about $600 since you have to buy the gears vs about $300 for the chain driven. The gear drives were a good option for the TC88 because of the problematic cam chain tensioners, but the hydraulic tensioners on your bike have proven to be very reliable. So my thing is...if it ain't broke don't fix it....
WAP.gif

Back