free website stats program waxed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

waxed

I wash my bike with Blue Corral wash and wax soap. I add more soap than recommended and fill bucket with very hot water. Taking care not to wet gauges I thoroughly wash bike and wheels. I then lightly wipe down gauges with damp chamois. After bike is dry I use Pledge on hard surfaces. When done bike looks better than new. Using wax soap makes all the tight spots around engine area, etc. really shine. There is no hard work and only takes about 1 1/2 hour start to finish.

I bought my EGlide used. The previous owner evidently wiped the bike down dry a lot, causing those tiny spider web scratches that look cloudy. I stripped the wax (straight dishwash soap), then started with a clay bar and went through the Mothers 3 step waxes. It brought back the clear sharp shine. Now I wash when needed, but don't wipe it down after a ride (it's not easy just leaving it dusty). I flood the fairing to wash bugs off.

Dishwash soap generally contains salt so best not to use on bike best to use a proper carwash soap its kinder to the paint and other shiny bits

Brian

If you want the best wax, its anything with "carnuba" hands down.Many companies have it in there product line.This may also be a good time to try a clay bar.After washing the clay removes deposits on your clear that washing wont.

Wash,use the clay, then wax.Good to go for the season.Just use pledge after that.

Car Wax - Carnauba Waxes- Pinnacle Carnauba Car waxes, P21s Concours Carnauba car wax
I agree with the above statement and I just want to add that I have always liked Dupont products. I bought a product called Dupont Spray wax with carnauba and Teflon "For a shine that really last!" I gave it a shot and let me tell you, for $2.99 it is excellent! It really does hold a good shine for quite a while. I have an '03 Ultra with a lot of chrome. I only have to wash it like every two weeks because I don't ride it in the rain (if I don't have to) and that stuff rally does a great job. I use Pledge on my windshield. It's great for that as well as the rest of the bike too but I would give the nod to the Dupont wax.

I use Nanowax on all my vehicles & my vintage guitars--easiest to use & remove, & imparts a shine that is unblievable.

However i will get fine scratches time to time and i have tried everything. I have found however that the HD Swirl and Scratch Treatment to be the best hands down!

Ditto - vivid black is terrible for showing any small imperfections (but I like it) & HD's scratch/swirl works well. Then I use Meguire's tchwax 2.0 which really brings out the shine. Good luck w/the detail & show some pics of your finished/clean scoot!

The paint on my UC is nothing spectacular. The saddle bags have a slight "orange peel" feel to the lids. I think the MOCO rushed the job, so I don't spend too much time worrying about it, most want their ride to look as nice as possible and to maintain the paint well.

I like the clay bar for smoothing out a finish, and I have used Mother's and Meguire's paint cleaning, glazing and waxing systems to help remove scratches and polish. For removing scratches and swirls I think the work well and are comparable. My neighbor uses these on his show car and has been for years and he has won a few awards, so I would guess they are pretty good products. The spots that get burnished from the seat on the tank: I polished and added some of the clear protective tape, since you can't see it anyway.

Whatever product you use, I think the most obvious and constant attack on everything on your scoot is UV from the sun. Vehicle paints are pretty amazing at resisting but eventually begin to oxidize from UV, but the plastics, vinyl, leather, rubber take a hard beating. I stand by Aerospace 303 Protectant after a good detailing and I wipe the seat and plastics down with it weekly. It does leave some streaks on paint if you use too much, just like Pledge can do as well. Aside form what the manufacuter of 303 will tell you, I did my own little study on a vinyl grill cover in full sun for a year and on the fiberglass stern of a gel coated sail boat that sat in the water, in full sun for a summer. Tremendous difference.

Man liquid glass. I use to use that stuff years and years ago. I have not been able to find it. That stuff was great. X2 on the liquid glass if you can find it. I myself use Crystal glo. It is an acrylic wax, works great. Wizards is pretty good too.

CRYSTAL-GLO® Motorcycle Care Products

NAPA Parts stocks the Liquid Glass in my hometown. If they can get it, you may want to see if your NAPA store can get it for you. :cheers

The paint on my UC is nothing spectacular. The saddle bags have a slight "orange peel" feel to the lids. I think the MOCO rushed the job, so I don't spend too much time worrying about it, most want their ride to look as nice as possible and to maintain the paint well.

I like the clay bar for smoothing out a finish, and I have used Mother's and Meguire's paint cleaning, glazing and waxing systems to help remove scratches and polish. For removing scratches and swirls I think the work well and are comparable. My neighbor uses these on his show car and has been for years and he has won a few awards, so I would guess they are pretty good products. The spots that get burnished from the seat on the tank: I polished and added some of the clear protective tape, since you can't see it anyway.

Whatever product you use, I think the most obvious and constant attack on everything on your scoot is UV from the sun. Vehicle paints are pretty amazing at resisting but eventually begin to oxidize from UV, but the plastics, vinyl, leather, rubber take a hard beating. I stand by Aerospace 303 Protectant after a good detailing and I wipe the seat and plastics down with it weekly. It does leave some streaks on paint if you use too much, just like Pledge can do as well. Aside form what the manufacuter of 303 will tell you, I did my own little study on a vinyl grill cover in full sun for a year and on the fiberglass stern of a gel coated sail boat that sat in the water, in full sun for a summer. Tremendous difference.
That is great to know Porter. It seems that there are some really great waxes out there which we are all partial to from all of these replies but you touched on something that I believe is really important. The UV protectant. I have been reading
on this forum about the inner fairing black fading from the sun. It wasn't until I saw one for myself in a parking lot that I thought man, I don't want that to happen to my bike. I think you have given me a preventive measure with that Aerospace 303 Protectant. Um, where do you get it? Thanks.

I use a clay bar followed up with the black turtle wax. The wax is black and seems to fill in some of the fine scratches.

Back