free website stats program waterproof? | Harley Davidson Forums

waterproof?

Cuzz

Took the outer fairing off for the first time to replace the light bulb in the fuel guage. I guess I never really thought about how well, or how not so well, the windshield seals between the iner and outer fairing. Water undoubtedly runs down between them and a lot of things must get wet. Is there any reason for concern here?

My wind shield seals pretty good as far as I can tell. New gaskets are available.
My concern was water intrusion (road spray) from the bottom part of the fairing where it is open. I used black duct tape to make the openings smaller. But overall, I have not read much at all about water damage inside the fairing.

I guess I just figured it was natural that water would get inside the inner fairing.

On my road glide it just seems like it would be normal. I haven't noticed any major issues from it, I also don't think it is flooding through either.

Did have some headlight issue at one time but don't think that was related.

I wouldn't have a major concern, but only you can see any corosion.

If you elect to replace the seal - get the "weatherproof" stuff...normally sold @ hardware stores (Ace) because the standard foam strip will hold water like a sponge & expand over time...

My solution was while I had the fairing off, I just put die electric grease on all the connections. It is not hard to do, and sure helps.

:D

Nothing is water proof when it comes to motorcycles. The only thing you can do is take pre-cautionary measures.
Don't spray water directly into electrical components.
Ensure stuff that should be sealed remains sealed.
Should you take terminals apart for any reason apply dielectic grease during re-assemble.
And last but not least when in doubt seal it.

Good luck and be safe.

I have a 2000 U.C. and in about the last 5 years or so the fuel guage gets a fog inside of it. Other than that I have had no problems.

I rode alot of miles here in Florida on my 97 FLHT, many days in the rain and had NO major issues with water intrusion, That said agree with Slapp, if you take it apart dilectric grease is your best friend carry some in your bags:s

Back