free website stats program water dripping from left muffler | Harley Davidson Forums

water dripping from left muffler

FLIPBEL

i have noticed that on cold starts my egc will drip water from the left muffler clamp (see attachment). i do not see a drip hole (it comes right off the clamp area). it will not do it on the right muffler. i was wondering if this is normal.

thanks and merry x-mas to all

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 81
you might not every get it to stop doing that my right one does that at start up once it warms up a bit it seals up and stops leaking i have a new clamp on and same thing

Not sure what your problem is but I know this applies to cage engines. When the engine is cold and the ECM is applying "choke", saturated hydrocarbons (a rich mixture) will join with oxygen during the combustion process and form H20 in the form of water vapor. When it hits the cool tail pipe (in comparison to the exhaust temp) it condenses. On a cage, as long as it goes away once the engine is off choke your OK.

But I have never seen water vapor come out of my bike or any bike tail pipe so have it checked out.
It might be a Good thing that it is leaking out and not staying in the pipe. I would rather have it leak out. (?)

Most bikes ive had have done this when on choke
to ensure that you minimise exhaust corrosion ensure that the bike is fully warmed up prior to shutting off this will turn any moisture in the exhaust into steam and force it out the end of the pipe

Brian

Interesting timing. Yesterday AM, I was replacing my muffler clamps with new torca band clamps that V&H sent me for free. I fired up the bike after I changed them out and out spits some mist/water from the end of the right side muffler (never did this before that I noticed). I then notice a little drip at the bottom of the screw where the baffle is held in place.

Now the weather was bad and there was high humidity (in FL) when I was working on it. I let the bike warm up and after that, no issue. I'll go for a ride on Sunday and see what happens.

On metrics, there is usually a tiny hole at the lowest part of the exhaust system to allow the moisture to escape...about the size of a pin head...would not be a bad thing if HD did it, but then, nobody wants to see water on the floor either...!

Back