free website stats program Washington DC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Washington DC

You know , its great the way the guys and gals in todays military get support, and the walls are a nice honor. But I still got a bad taste in my mouth by the way we were treated in the early 70s by our own people, civilians and military alike , I never felt that disposable in my life.

Even nowadays when someone says thanks for serving (I wear a USAF patch on my vest), I dont know what to say. I feel like sayin , where were you when I needed the boost, but I just smile and nod. It all just seems so phony.

Sorry to ruin the mood peeps, just needed to get that off my chest.

Most of the Vietnam veterans did get treated liek (EDIT) in the 60's and 70's there is no denying that. It was a shame! Hold you head high War Horse.....I don't think the folks that thank you for your service today are phony! I think they are genuine these days! The protestors of that time that targeted the returning veterans are long gone and for the most part as an IOF vet I can say that people that are against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan can seperate the veteran from their opinions on the war! They are able to oppose the war but still recognize that the veterans served because they were ordered to deploy and it is an act of selfless service......I hope this makes sense! And I'll say thanks to you.....from one vet to another!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks whacko, I know what you mean, and sorry I got you worked up and a warning from the upper echelons..:small3d015:

You know , its great the way the guys and gals in todays military get support, and the walls are a nice honor. But I still got a bad taste in my mouth by the way we were treated in the early 70s by our own people, civilians and military alike , I never felt that disposable in my life.

Even nowadays when someone says thanks for serving (I wear a USAF patch on my vest), I dont know what to say. I feel like sayin , where were you when I needed the boost, but I just smile and nod. It all just seems so phony.

Sorry to ruin the mood peeps, just needed to get that off my chest.

While I was only born in '73, my Dad used to tell me the same stories about when he got home. It was a shame....War Horse, thanks.
For what it's worth.....
Bye the way, you didn't ruin the mood, you just gave us all a humble reminder.

Most of the Vietnam veterans did get treated liek (EDIT) in the 60's and 70's there is no denying that. It was a shame! Hold you head high War Horse.....I don't think the folks that thank you for your service today are phony! I think they are genuine these days! The protestors of that time that targeted the returning veterans are long gone and for the most part as an IOF vet I can say that people that are against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan can seperate the veteran from their opinions on the war! They are able to oppose the war but still recognize that the veterans served because they were ordered to deploy and it is an act of selfless service......I hope this makes sense! And I'll say thanks to you.....from one vet to another!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Well said

I make it a point to thank every service member I can. I can assure War Horse and all other military people that there is not one ounce of a phony in my, and my family's heartfelt Thank You. We mean every word.

Well this thread had so many views I had to drop in and see what it was all about. Nice thread mixed in with some hard feelings. Sorry about your vacation Wacko, hang in there, been there done that (twice). I have learned a lot of new synonyms since then, you will too.

I went to DC with my parents when I was 10yrs old in 1960. I walked all the way up the stairs of the Washington Monument, saw the Lincoln Memorial and all that stuff. A lot of history there. Glad the OP got to see the Wall. I have never seen it. I have two teenage school friends on it. There are a few guys from the battalion I served in on it. Maybe someday before I die I will get up there and see it.

One thing I remember most about Arlington were these cool resturants called Hot Shoppe. For a 10yr old I thought they had the best hamburger in town. Never seen them down where I live, they may not be up there anymore.

One thing I remember most about Arlington were these cool resturants called Hot Shoppe. For a 10yr old I thought they had the best hamburger in town. Never seen them down where I live, they may not be up there anymore.

The Hot Shoppes have closed. All of them. They will be missed.

The Marriott Corporation pulled the plug on the last of them late in 1999.

If your planning a trip to DC.
You can go on line and get some real good ideas on how to spend your time. Your not going to see it all not even after many trips.
DC is a messed up city walk or take Bus.
When children were younger and we went there we would stay in Fredericksburg. They have shuttles that will run you into town and bring you back best way to go.
America's Homepage and the Virtual Tour of Washington, D.C.
A Virtual Tour of Washingtons Smithsonian Institution, Gwen Solomon and Stan Solomon

Fredericksburg is 45-1 hour away easy. Could be much, much more if dealing with rush hour traffic. DC has a great Metro system (subway. Very clean). I'd look for a hotel by a metro stop outside of DC (VA or MD). Would be cheaper than a stay in DC. You can buy a day pass and ride metro as much as you like to get around or you can put a dollar amount on a fare card.

Fredericksburg is 45-1 hour away easy. Could be much, much more if dealing with rush hour traffic. DC has a great Metro system (subway. Very clean). I'd look for a hotel by a metro stop outside of DC (VA or MD). Would be cheaper than a stay in DC. You can buy a day pass and ride metro as much as you like to get around or you can put a dollar amount on a fare card.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on New Jersey Ave. It wasn't expensive at all. We were in walking distance to everything.
I'm glad this thread is getting alot of views.

Was stationed in DC for 4-yrs and have to say, other than traffic, it was one of the best assignments of my career. Tried to soak in all surrounding DC metro culture and wish we ventured out more into some of the colonial/civil war sites in adjacent states. Loved old town Alexandria - always something happening & even got to go inside small Russian sub and destroyer. Need to get back there someday to re-visit.

One image from the Vietnam wall that, to this day, still gives me goosebumps is the businessman leaning into the wall w/reflecting images of lost war buddies reaching back. It really tells the true tale of a messed up war. Enjoy!

Attachments

• vietnam-memorial.jpg
    vietnam-memorial.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 9
Back