Washing?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by UltraNew09, Aug 22, 2011.

1. UltraNew09

UltraNew09 Member

Well got a stage 1 SE breather, I know its more open, but can you still wash it like normal or cover the breather with something?

2. Cleftwynd

Cleftwynd Banned

I would wash it as normal, while taking care not to hit the backside of the breather with direct high pressure spray, no matter what style of AC you have it's a good idea to use common sense when washing certain parts of your bike.

I tend to wet that area from a distance to get it good and wet without forcing water into it, and hand clean it with a good clean rag/wash mitt.

Regards, Bill

3. UltraNew09

UltraNew09 Member

Yeah I never put direct spray on the breather, just didnt know for sure if the more open style would hurt anything, Thanks for the reassurance Cleftwynd.

4. gasbrnr

gasbrnr Member

Ok how about riding it in the rain? With the stock cover on looks pretty well protected but some water has to get in there. I know the full open SE would really suck some water but in a bind what can you do?

I have heard of water injection in car engines but not on a bike.

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

One thing getting Small amounts of water as a MIST into the engine Removes the carbon build up.. Careful where you point the exhaust because it will be FULL of carbon flakes from the motor..
    Do this and put a hand back and feel the Needles hitting the flesh...Careful if you are Dainty as the carbon Might tattoo you... Also always where full safety eye:newsmile070: shields... Keep them Peepers safe...:22:

Liquid filling the piston/head area will damage the rod (bend) and crank IF TOO much is used or gets in,,, as Liquid Don't compress their molecules like air...

signed....BUBBIE

6. gasbrnr

gasbrnr Member

Thanks Bubbie, I figure if I'm ridin in the rain I'm going to keep going until I find some shelter anyhow. Hey getting rid of some of that carbon is a good thing!

7. BlaineG

BlaineG Member

I used to drip, slowly, IPA into the carb on a couple old cars and trucks...boy would the stuff fly out the pipes.

8. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I should of Mentioned that I use a Mist Sprayer bottle of water Occasionally..
    Yes it Does clean it up a lot... Like said... Good For It...

signed....BUBBIE

9. dieselguy65

dieselguy65 Account Removed

yep, sure beats pulling heads and decarboning them every 20k. had a few Italian autos that was the norm for them. bottle of water down the carb fixed that. lol

10. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

I recently made the same mod. I never thought about it being a washing problem because I have never wased my bike. Been stuck in the rain more times than I like, but I have never washed it. I wipe it down a lot and use Pledge, of course, and I never let it get dirty enough to need a real washing. The only thing I really wash are the whitewalls.