free website stats program Was at the dealers today | Harley Davidson Forums

Was at the dealers today

ImaRider

They had a few bikes in and I went to see them. In a conversation with the salesman he mentioned that it was passed onto them that no discounts would be given on bike MSRP. He said they could forgo prep and delivery charges but that was it.

Once I heard that I got real uninterested in pursuing a conversation about buying a new bike. I hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt them. Once all the I got to have this now sales end will they still sell as many bikes?

Also the expected amount of delivery to the dealer is very low. Is this Corporate creating a controlled market in order to justify keeping prices at MSRP?

I am thinking that I will just keep what I have and take a serious look at the other 2 American made bikes.

That is pretty standard "salesman talk" for new model year. "Yep, ain't makin' no deals, bikes are gonna be hard to get. Harley's makin' too much money, gonna cut back on production". :newsmile01:

That is pretty standard "salesman talk" for new model year. "Yep, ain't makin' no deals, bikes are gonna be hard to get. Harley's makin' too much money, gonna cut back on production". :newsmile01:

Agree here, least there aint no waiting list with money down like back in the EVO days

I wouldn't buy one of the new models with the water cooled heads until they have been out for a while and they have all the bugs worked out.

That talk screwed the pooch with me. I was polite but I walked away as fast as I could. Salesman try to attach you to a bike and get you emotional over it. Guess I am just going to keep what I am riding. We are going into the end of riding for this year in another few months.
Gotta give'em credit though I think they sold 2 bikes while I was there.

That talk screwed the pooch with me. I was polite but I walked away as fast as I could. Salesman try to attach you to a bike and get you emotional over it. Guess I am just going to keep what I am riding. We are going into the end of riding for this year in another few months.
Gotta give'em credit though I think they sold 2 bikes while I was there.

And to add insult to injury good thing you did not even talk about trading a bike in. After they give you the song and dance that it needs run through the shop, needs serviced, probably tires and inspected yada yada yada, if you could you would have probably picked up your bike and threw it at the salesman for the insulting price he would have put on your trade.....:(
Thats great that they would discount prep and delivery for that is a dealer added charge that is a home run for dealer any way.... The MFG pays dealer to prep bikes so when the customer is charged dealer prep and delivery, dealer is double dipping.......

The last time I talked to them about buying a new bike they did just what you said. They took it to the shop and the service mgr. revved it to the limit, then said there is something wrong with this bike that needs fixing. Funny part is it was a sportster with only 1800 miles on it and ran like a top. I took the bike and went to another dealer to buy what I have. Looks like I may be doing the same thing again. These guys just don't get it.

I guess it all comes down to the dealer. Even though I have had some issues with my local HD as far a service goes, I think the sales team is pretty darn good. I have bought 2 bikes from them over the years and can't complain about the deal I made..just my 2 cents here.

The last time I talked to them about buying a new bike they did just what you said. They took it to the shop and the service mgr. revved it to the limit, then said there is something wrong with this bike that needs fixing. Funny part is it was a sportster with only 1800 miles on it and ran like a top. I took the bike and went to another dealer to buy what I have. Looks like I may be doing the same thing again. These guys just don't get it.
That's very common, as a matter of fact it's on page 10 of the salesman's handbook. Tell the customer about every defect on his scoot so by the time you leave your wondering how you even made it there in the first place. IMO Your much better off selling it yourself and making a cash deal with the dealership.

That's very common, as a matter of fact it's on page 10 of the salesman's handbook. Tell the customer about every defect on his scoot so by the time you leave your wondering how you even made it there in the first place. IMO Your much better off selling it yourself and making a cash deal with the dealership.
I should of said it seems like they go off a script rather than it being a matter of fact because it sure seems they all have the same sales lingo when it comes to what they will give you for your bike. You do walk away wondering how you made it to the dealer without your scoot falling apart.:shock

Last edited:
Back