free website stats program Warning to Riders | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Warning to Riders

Having that ever aware 6 sense TQ is probably what kept your clearance at those narrow inches instead of contact.

Good post, and here's hoping we don't get one of those absolutely unavoidable situations that is just gonna be bad no matter what sense you have. We all know of them, we've sensed their possibility at various times and lived to ride on.

From looking at the photos of the road where Kemo left us, it appears to me there just wasn't much he could have done. When someone pulls in front of you head on, there is probably going to be injury whether you lay it down, or go over the cage, or IF you are lucky enough to be able to swerve and miss the cage and deal with the ditch and whatever else is in it as you try desperately to maintain control.

Doggonnit I miss Kemo. Ride safe guys.

Having that ever aware 6 sense TQ is probably what kept your clearance at those narrow inches instead of contact.

Good post, and here's hoping we don't get one of those absolutely unavoidable situations that is just gonna be bad no matter what sense you have. We all know of them, we've sensed their possibility at various times and lived to ride on.

From looking at the photos of the road where Kemo left us, it appears to me there just wasn't much he could have done. When someone pulls in front of you head on, there is probably going to be injury whether you lay it down, or go over the cage, or IF you are lucky enough to be able to swerve and miss the cage and deal with the ditch and whatever else is in it as you try desperately to maintain control.

Doggonnit I miss Kemo. Ride safe guys.

This is a point I wanted to make but I didn't feel I could say it without rubbing someone the wrong way. Taking a course is good advice, but to imply it is why someone gets hit or not just doesn't satisfy enough statistical criteria. We always talked about making it through that first riding year and your odds go way up. JMO

Thanks T Q, it is too sad we have to lose a member before we become proactive Never too late to hone our skills

I have been riding since I was 5 ( I am 53 now) and had more close calls than I can count. When asked by "Non" riders I always say, "just ride like everyone is out to hit you and you will be fine"

Unfortunately it often seems like everyone IS trying to hit you.

This is a point I wanted to make but I didn't feel I could say it without rubbing someone the wrong way. Taking a course is good advice, but to imply it is why someone gets hit or not just doesn't satisfy enough statistical criteria. We always talked about making it through that first riding year and your odds go way up. JMO

Webbtron I agree with some of what you say. I don't think that taking a safety course will help in all situations, and from what I've read nothing would have helped with the type of accident Ken had. Everyone I've talked to that knew him said he was an excellent rider. Taking the safety courses gives me insite on what I can do to be a better and safer rider, it also shows some of the bad habits I have. Don

Like everyone else, close calls on almost a daily basis. The biggest thing I have taken away from the safety classes is to always keep a bubble of security around me. it has helped more than once. I am too old to take chances, as I want to live to ride another day. My biggest pet peeve are cell phones, regardless of whether the driver is talking or texting. A good majority of the close calls I have had, the driver has had a cell phone in hand (and I live in a state where using a handheld is considered a moving violation).

My intent in the OP was not to question Ken's riding skills by any means, and I hope no one read it that way. In the situation he faced, he may not have had ANY alternatives than to try what he did. We will never know.

But if any good can come out of this horrible situation, it is that all the rest of us do WHATEVER we can do to maximize our safety on the road. If that is taking some more riding courses, or wearing a helmet, or riding a different type of bike, or just leaving more escape area around us as we ride and NEVER trusting the other guy to do the right thing, then that will be valuable to those of us left behind.

We will all miss the tremendous value Kemo brought to the site, and those who knew him personally will miss a good and supportive friend. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Family.

Godspeed Kemo on your current journey.

TQ

My intent in the OP was not to question Ken's riding skills by any means, and I hope no one read it that way. In the situation he faced, he may not have had ANY alternatives than to try what he did. We will never know.

But if any good can come out of this horrible situation, it is that all the rest of us do WHATEVER we can do to maximize our safety on the road. If that is taking some more riding courses, or wearing a helmet, or riding a different type of bike, or just leaving more escape area around us as we ride and NEVER trusting the other guy to do the right thing, then that will be valuable to those of us left behind.

We will all miss the tremendous value Kemo brought to the site, and those who knew him personally will miss a good and supportive friend. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Family.

Godspeed Kemo on your current journey.

TQ

It never entered my mind that you were questioning Ken's skills. I am using this tragedy as a wake up call. Thanks for the Thread. Don

i agree 100% with hddon and i think if we all would admit weve all be guilty at one time or another of letting are guards down,and if we all choose to continue to ride there will be close calls that we endure and hopefully all will turn out in our favor.RIP KEMO

It never entered my mind that you were questioning Ken's skills. I am using this tragedy as a wake up call. Thanks for the Thread. Don

I don't think, I know we all feel the same was as Don here. TQ, no explanation neccessary friend.

Back