free website stats program WARNING>>>Heads up on Front Bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

WARNING>>>Heads up on Front Bearings

Re: Just a HEADS UP on Front Bearings

The noise was a grindig sound, almost sounded like brake pads rubbing only louder and gritty like. I can only say that if you heard it you will say "wow, that don't sound right."

The attendant there slipped and said the newer bikes (The Heritage is a 2011)where having a problem with the front bearings.

In 2009, the sealed HD non ABS wheel bearing had a part# of 9276 which (dimension wise) crossed to a standard 6205 bearing having dimensions of 25mm, 52mm,15mm.
Today I noticed that the part number for year 2011 bearings are now 9276A. The dimensions have got to be the same and the model "A" should have been some sort of improved version.(?)

My guess is that even the current 9276A bearings should be physically interchangable with any street version 6205 bearing but only in your brand of choice.

Without taking the wheel off the only measurment I can give you is the axle size...it measures right about 3/4 inch in diameter.
Again the noise it made was a grinding gritty noise...trust me, you will know if you hear it.
Last note, the service center guy said there had been a number of bikes (softails) coming in with the same problem. He was polite and had us back on the road fairly quick, and it cost me nothing out of pocket.
Good luck stay dry and most of all be safe.

Bought an 07 FLHTC with about 7K miles on it this past summer, Started making a little noise at about 9.5k now at 12k I pulled the wheels off for new tires and my axles had burn marks on them, Bearings front left rear left were both locked up. New tires, new bearings all the way around and a little extra part (pre-production) to help seal the bearings. If it works I'll post more info in about 4k miles.

Back