free website stats program Warning HD Sundowner Seat problem! | Harley Davidson Forums

Warning HD Sundowner Seat problem!

Turk55

Thought ya all should know about problem with the Sundowner seat, I bought one last year and had it on for one trip (about 500 mile) when I took it off to put the stock seat back on what i found was Harley used too large rear mounting tab bolts and they had warn clear through my paint and started marking my fender! took bike to dealer and showed it to them, took Harley a month to decide to replace fender and seat, that was order Oct 1, 2009 still watting on call that fender and seat are in.

If you have one on your scoot, get it off, it you thinking of getting one better check the bolts as far as I know they havent changed them.

Turk,
Really sorry to hear about that. I've had the Sundowner for 3 years now. Granted, I only use it when my wife goes with me, but it's been to Nova Scotia, Montreal, Myrtle Beach, and many weekend trips. I guess I'm fortunate in that I've had no problems like you've mentioned.

Sure hope you get the new stuff before riding season!

I put a Sundowner on last year and the instructions stated to swap the rear mounting tab with the one off of the OE seat when installing on an Flstf. I've had no problems.

I put a Sundowner on last year and the instructions stated to swap the rear mounting tab with the one off of the OE seat when installing on an Flstf. I've had no problems.

Turk, do you think that if the rear mounting tab was changed it would alter the contact area so as to not rub. I also noted on my Sporty that there is a clear thick vinyl "decal" that protects the fender from contact with the seat, is it missing, or removed if some paint work was done?

JMO, never cared for passenger pillion to be placed "on" the fender, rather than supported by the frame (or read sub frame like metrics) rather than the fender (technology we did on "kids" bikes) as well as flexy seat pans, for an all metal Harley the only consolation is the pillion rests on a steel fender and not a plastic one.

Have about 10,000 miles on mine and don't think there is a problem. But now I'm going to go out and check.

Back