free website stats program WARNING - Caution when fueling | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

WARNING - Caution when fueling

Also I'm sure you guys know that cell phones can start fires at gas areas and many stations have signs posted saying no cell phone use in the pump area same as smoking. But every now and again I still see some character talking on their phone while they are gasing up.

I routinely ask people to hang up and point to the signs, but I always get that look like I'm an alien from another planet!

I routinely ask people to hang up and point to the signs, but I always get that look like I'm an alien from another planet!

Thats because you are infringing on their entitlement mentality good Dr....
Wheres that thread about common sense died....:panic

Fueling is ALWAYS a big deal, it is just that we do it so often, we can get complacent. Doesn't matter if it is a Harley or a Vespa (which is hidden under the seat, next to the removable helmet/storage carrier) and hot engine is directly below. :newsmile03:

Doesn't take anything at all to put in 2.0 gallons into that tiny opening, and yes if you used the auto latch on the nozzle you could spill all that gas into the storage bin or on to the hot engine directly below which is even more a hazard than the Harley. Glad your okay TQ...bet if you were tired or in a hurry that incident got your heart racing. :panic

. . . . . . . . . Another warning when filling gas cans, always take them out of your vehicle and put them on the ground, it negates any chance of a flash fire from build up static electricty.:newsmile03:

VERY GOOD, I forgot to post that up but I do practice it religiously for lawn mower gas. I saw a news report years ago where an explosion was caused by static discharge as the nozzle hit the gas can in the truck bed.

The concrete is not all that good a ground admittedly but it's much a better scenario (statically speaking) than a DC frame charged truck bed sitting on rubber.

On my first trip to Sturgis, riding one day to the badlands, there's this little town on the way with a General Store with one gas pump. There were about 25 bikes in line to fill up. The guy at the pump did exactly what you experienced and gas ended up pouring all over the ground next to the pump. There was a substantial puddle of gas. Luckily I was about 23rd in line and didn't have to wade in the gas. I learned that lesson then.

Years ago I was filling my sporty up. I was holding the latch open manually and the pump didn't shut off when the tank was full. Gas can gushing out all over the tank and down the sides. I learnt my lesson that day.

Back