free website stats program warming up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

warming up

finally got all the parts (carb rebuild kit and a breather kit) and got them installed. made a nice difference on the cold starting and the amount of time to get it warmed up to go for a ride. plugs look good after a nice 20 mile ride. funny thing is I never had to deal with the vacuum part of the shutoff valve before. should have seen the look on my face when I could not get fuel into the bowl after I rebuilt the carb.

:D Good on you and thanks for taking the time to update here:s

Modern fuels are not kind to the rubber and plastic parts inside a carb so a rebuild kit is required more often than it once was
Somewhere between 5 and 10 years and a rebuild kit is required which pushes any bike with a carb into the possibly soon zone for a rebuild

Brian

Modern fuels are not kind to the rubber and plastic parts inside a carb so a rebuild kit is required more often than it once was
Somewhere between 5 and 10 years and a rebuild kit is required which pushes any bike with a carb into the possibly soon zone for a rebuild

Brian

seafoam,marvel mystery oil,lucus fuel treatment all help fight this issue of the newer fuels eating the seals up in our carburetors,i put a touch of seafoam in mine

Have you checked you idle air mixture screw. You check/adj. after the warm because of vacuum changes. It's the bigger screw on top behind the air cleaner. It looks like a + because of screw driver slots. If the bike came from a different area you may need to re-jet due to altitude differences. S&S is not a CV type carb..
tourbox

........BINGO........

every change in Altitude makes a hugh difference.

I do 3500 feet on a CV and HAVE to change out the slow jet. (where I live at 4400 feet)

Yes that bike/carb needs to be WARMED to perform Properly...

IF you want it to come ON sooner, that MEANS Richer...:shock

Just the nature of the Beast.

You CAN get it to come on Right Now BUT that will run Too Rich later after warmed for the ride.

PATIENCE is also needed here....:s

signed....BUBBIE

PLACED This response BEFORE reading fully.. But it is what it IS.....:D

well where I am is around 800 ft and the main jet had a marking of 72 and the midrange was a 28. is there room for adjustment?

I'd say IF it is running good like you said BUT just have to wait for it to warm a bit,?

Maybe that great Video you produced and FOLLOWED, all is good so ALL IS GOOD....:s

I Did Learn here myself...:shock Thanks......

You really have More Control of the fuel mix than any other carb set up I know of, AND without changing the Jet sizes....:D

signed....BUBBIE

finally went for a lengthy ride. about 130 miles total. ran good and check the fuel mileage and was surprised to get almost 49 mpg.

Back