free website stats program warm up | Harley Davidson Forums

warm up

hargun2

quick question, is it normal for the front cyclinder to warm up before the rear or should they warm up at the same rate?

Overall, if the bike is just sitting still, I would guess they'd warm up the same. The rear is in a bit more of an enclosed area than the front but I wouldn't think this would make a significant difference.

While moving, it's perfectly normal for the rear to run hotter since the front gets more airflow. This is one of the reasons for the EITMS shutting off the rear cylinder for heat management.

I got a problem then, started it yesterday to go for a ride and monitored the cylinders as they warmed up and the front cylinder warmed up where it was hot to the touch and the rear was barely warm. Any ideas? There were no codes. I noticed the other day coming off the freeway that the motor was acting like it was running on one cylinder and it was idling down to about 750 rpm. ?????

You have to determine why the rear isn't the same temp as the front. It could be poor fuel distribution, an intake leak or a problem with the cylinder itself. I would start with a compression test and see what that gives you. From there check the plugs, wires and coil to determine if all parts are functioning as they should.

I got a problem then, started it yesterday to go for a ride and monitored the cylinders as they warmed up and the front cylinder warmed up where it was hot to the touch and the rear was barely warm. Any ideas? There were no codes. I noticed the other day coming off the freeway that the motor was acting like it was running on one cylinder and it was idling down to about 750 rpm. ?????

You need to do a compression test it sounds like you lost the rear cylinder. Before you panic check for spark it could be that simple:s

That was the first thing I looked at and they looked good but put new ones in anyway with the same result. This is the same motor I been having issues with since it was rebuilt last fall.

It's intermittent which make me think maybay a injector issue, I'm going to do a compression check tonight first to rule out valves and rings then go into the electrical side of things. I will let you know what I find tomorrow. Oh one more thing it seems to run fine when I'm rolling down the road and off the idle circuit.

It's intermittent which make me think maybay a injector issue, I'm going to do a compression check tonight first to rule out valves and rings then go into the electrical side of things. I will let you know what I find tomorrow. Oh one more thing it seems to run fine when I'm rolling down the road and off the idle circuit.

Grab the injector wires and give them a shake, would not be the first time we have seen a break in the too short wires, Good Luck:s

Back