Warm-up

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by oldgeezer, Dec 15, 2008.

1. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Should you allow your EFI 96 inch engine to warm-up before riding? If so how long should a person wait after starting, before riding?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. glider

glider Veteran Member

You should allow all Harleys to warm up a bit before riding to prevent leaks from uneven expansion in the engine.

Usually a few (2-4) minutes at idle should do it, then drive easy till it's warmed up completely.

3. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

My bike has FI and I wait untill the fast cold idle settles down to normal warm idle. Then as Glider said, take it easy fow a few miles.

Respects...Joe

4. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

I try to take a minute or two to warm up the cold natured beast I'm now ridining. I assumed the bike was a littled like me.......needs a little time to get the juices flowing.:newsmile062:

I particularly enjoy warming the bike up on a ride starting from the house.........annoys the heck out of my jerk neighbor!:devil

5. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

My last bike did have loud pipes on it. There had been times when there was a call to make a long run with the PGR which resulted in me leaving before daylight sometimes. One of my neighbors that I fish with said sometimes his neighbor complained to him about me, not to me, but to him. I would leave as quitly as I could not try to disturb anyone. I told my fishing bubby that no mater how bad it seemed now it could get alot worse. I guess he told them this. I haven't had any more complants.:s

6. ProF

ProF Junior Member

Starting out from home is easy for me as I live in a hilly area and can ride the bike in neutral down to the bottom of a long easy grade to the stop sign at the bottom. It's not so steep as to pick up undue speed, but long enough to let the bike warm up a bit while idling.

7. Retrop

Retrop Active Member

Like others with fuel injection I let mine idle 3 or 4 minutes in cold weather or until it comes off "high idle". Then I take it easy for the next ten minutes until all the fluids are flowing easily. Of course in hot weather times are speeded up quite a bit.

8. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

I think you should warm all vehicles up for a couple of minutes before riding/driving.

9. whiterider

whiterider Active Member

Same as the rest. Warm up for a few minutes and let the fuel injection even out. I live about 10 seconds from the main road so taking it easy is not always an option so it is nice to have the motor warm.

I read a thread somewhere about over idling a bike. This person thought that it puts gas in the oil. Not sure I agree and I would think that thrashing a cold engine would be worse for the motor.

10. drake

drake Senior Member

What's all the hurry? The reason you're riding is ususlly for leisure right? Take the time to let the bike get up to operating temperature then enjoy!!!