free website stats program Warm Up procedure | Harley Davidson Forums

Warm Up procedure

barttoday

Got a question on warm up procedures. Used to, before I installed the 106 kit and S&S 551 cams, when it was cold outside (30's) I would crank the engine up and let her warm up a few minutes. The throttle was responsive and she ran at high idle while cold, but quickly warmed up. Now, since I have done the engine work, on cold start up, I don't touch the throttle. If I do it sputters and pops and she's a grumpy girl. Once warmed up runs like a scalded dog. Is my warm up enrichment set too fat?? Just curious to what the experts on this forum think? Thanks!!!

I'm no expert but depending on what kind of tuner you have, say with a supper tuner you can go in and make the warm up tables richer or leaner, then try it. What kind of tuner do you have?

I'm no expert but depending on what kind of tuner you have, say with a supper tuner you can go in and make the warm up tables richer or leaner, then try it. What kind of tuner do you have?

I'm running the SERT. Can I just adjust the cold engine enrichment w/o messing with the tuning?

Yes, just go to the warm up tables and make your adjustments, keep the orignal settings in a file or write the down, if you have a larger intake or higher ve I would thing it would need to be richer, but in all the tears I've been tuning I have never had to touch those tables, but it don't hurt to try it, you can always go back.

Yes, just go to the warm up tables and make your adjustments, keep the orignal settings in a file or write the down, if you have a larger intake or higher ve I would thing it would need to be richer, but in all the tears I've been tuning I have never had to touch those tables, but it don't hurt to try it, you can always go back.

I'll try it out and let you know how it turns out and what I do. Sometimes I need to "git" in a hurry, and in this cold weather and with the scoot acting so cold blooded its hard to do. (I usually like to let it warm up a bit to get that thickened oil moving, but sometimes ...) Thanks.

Don't necessarily need to "warm it up" although you're not hurting anything. Just let it run long enough to get oil flowing and pull away and ride for first couple minutes/miles at moderate pace to allow temps to get normal. Don't just fire it up and then redline it cold.

Leaned out the start up enrichment a bit and it's perfect now. I think the tuner at my local dealer added a little much to the warm up enrichment and had it running waay too fat. (I could smell fuel, and it seemed to "flood out" when I would pop the throttle on a cold start) I still need to do a little tweaking, but all in all it's going the correct direction. Thanks for all of the replies.

Congrats barttoday, I never touch the warm up tables when just doing a tune but maybe your engine configuration needs it, that's the great thing about the super tuner, it gives you the tools you need to correct any issues.

Back