free website stats program Warm Clothes | Harley Davidson Forums

Warm Clothes

HD4ME!

What is the preferred/recommended way to stay warm? There is a very good reason we live in the south, we dont like it cold! :D

I dont mind it so much but my wife really does not like to ride under about 70, don't laugh. So with her birthday coming up I was thinking about getting her something to keep her warm. She already has a nice leather jacket and gloves so what comes next?

She has said before she does not like chaps, even though she has never worn them before. So I was thinking of getting her some type of thermal underwear, maybe something tight fitting like the snow skiers wear. The one concern I have with the thermal underwear is how comfortable are they?

Heated gear is probably the most effective but way over the top for folks living in the South.

Like any outdoor activity, the main strategy is to layer. Under Armour and Nike make great base layer stuff designed for cold weather. Silk socks under regular socks help the feet and toes. Winter weight motorcycle gloves. Don't forget a balaclava, neck gaiter, or scarf for the neck and chin.

I was kind of a "chaps hater" too until I tried them. They totally cut off the wind and protect you from rocks and bugs.

+1 on the Under Armour. The other morning it was 27* when I left the house. Leather jacket and chaps along with the UA base layers and I was good to go. Comfortable to wear and tight fitting so all of your normal clothes fit over really easily.

Just my $.02

+1 on the Under Armour. The other morning it was 27* when I left the house. Leather jacket and chaps along with the UA base layers and I was good to go. Comfortable to wear and tight fitting so all of your normal clothes fit over really easily.

Just my $.02

Sure wish the Under Armour stuff was in this price range!

Has your wife ever seen herself in chaps? I think they are quite flattering to most women, and so do most women. A draft is what chills me most. I always tuck my pants into my boots but only if I'm wearing chaps, (even tho it's the "style" for young rednecks in Georgia), wear a scarf and tennis players wrist sweat bands (or cut the feet off a pair of black socks) to keep the draft from going up my sleeve, even with gauntlet gloves, and as I wear a shorty helmet a wool seamans type cap to pull over my ears.

Like most of the posts here, I can vouch for good undergarments. During my SCUBA diving days, I always used a pair of "Daymart" thermals under my dry suit. Used them also when duck hunting on those cold autumn mornings. As was mentioned, layering and an outer garment that cuts the wind is the winning combo IMO. Now, for folks who live in more drastic climates, heated accessories are the way to go. Here in the garden state, I'm like Richard...if it's that cold that I need to plug something in to stay warm, I'm inside....

If there isn't ice on the road.. I will ride..............

layers, chaps and leather with a full face when it's really cold... I like the idea of sport wrist sweat bands to keep the draft out of the sleeves.. was just pondering a fix a couple weeks ago for this and now I know what too look for....still can't find a glove that works well for me though... I don't like the thick bulky gloves so I hack it out with the thinner ones warming my hands near the engine when I stop...my hands are about all that get cold on me right now...

If there isn't ice on the road.. I will ride..............

layers, chaps and leather with a full face when it's really cold... I like the idea of sport wrist sweat bands to keep the draft out of the sleeves.. was just pondering a fix a couple weeks ago for this and now I know what too look for....still can't find a glove that works well for me though... I don't like the thick bulky gloves so I hack it out with the thinner ones warming my hands near the engine when I stop...my hands are about all that get cold on me right now...

Shouldn't be much of a problem in Jacksonville! :p

I just got a pair of firstgear ht2 overpants, they can be used with the liner or just as rainpants, the liner is thinsulate and comes out, they go right on and off, only wore them 3 times so far, but I like them.

Hello, Here in the Northeast it gets cold, real cold, keeping the Head and FACE warm is KEY. If you are a fan of helmets than the "Full Face" with a liner is the way to go. If not, I would suggest something like an Aviator hat, foam lined goggles and a mask or leather neck curtain. It seems people have different tolerance levels, it's all about fun, if it's not don't do it. If you are a real die-hard than ask a snow mobiler, I'm sure they have some tips. Moose

Back