free website stats program wanting a good aluminum polish or cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

wanting a good aluminum polish or cleaner

712jared

hi got my 03 dyna super glide with aluminum rims and engine components that are dull and starting to oxidize wanting to find a way to get rid of oxidation and brighten them if possible any help would be appreciated thanks

when i had the standard EG, i tried a few different products. wizards worked the best for me. it will take some time depending on how bad it is.

One problem with Polished Aluminum it could have clear anodize over it. If it does, you cannot really polish it until the anodize is removed. If you take something like "mothers" aluminum polish and start polishing. If the towel your using does not turn black. It is a good sign there is some type of coating.

the best product I have found to use after trying just about everything out there is a alum polish that work best and coats to retain a good look for many months . below is a pic of cleaning comparison to one of the most used alum polishes on the market mothers alum polish on the left and Buschs alum polish on rite, although you can only find this product at a truck supply house or a truck stop you can order it directly from buschs ,they carry a whole line of alum cleaning products and Ive found no better and does not take a lot of hard work to use and highly recomend to get your bike looking its best.

Attachments

• Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 75
Yes, I agree with Smitty and Jonas. If there is a clear coat over the aluminum, and lots of stock Harley aliminum has clear coat, it will have to come off before you can polish the metal itself.
Smitty has a great idea of checking out truck stops for aluminum cleaner and polish. They have a lot of the same products as motorcycle shops, but often at a less money.

the best product I have found to use after trying just about everything out there is a alum polish that work best and coats to retain a good look for many months . below is a pic of cleaning comparison to one of the most used alum polishes on the market mothers alum polish on the left and Buschs alum polish on rite, although you can only find this product at a truck supply house or a truck stop you can order it directly from buschs ,they carry a whole line of alum cleaning products and Ive found no better and does not take a lot of hard work to use and highly recomend to get your bike looking its best.

I've been a Mothers mag & alum. polish fan for a long time. I have never heard of Buschs, but the difference in your pictures has me in search of some.

jjust to give you and example of buschs alum polish,I restore old bikes and atv s this is a 1986 honda trx I just finished up , notice the hardware on rims nuts, bolts washers, axle nuts these parts are original oem hardware that was polished with buschs ,the hardware is straight nothen fancy alum , not bullet or highgrade stuff . Not to bad for 20 Plus yr old parts that you know were ever cleaned properly being the use of this machine , and it was a rust bucket project

Attachments

• 100_0019.jpg
    100_0019.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 45
Harley does apply a clear laquer over some of the polished alloy parts and the corrosion tends to creep under the laquer making a quick polish up almost impossible
after a wee bit of trial and error i found that a good paint stripper will easily lift the laquer
best to use a jel as its esier to control as you dont want it running on to other parts
follow the instructions on the packaging and should lift the laquer clean off the parts

Brian

simichrome polish is an excellent aluminum polish. I used to use it to polish the aluminum primary cover on my 87 sporty, worked great.

Back