free website stats program Waiting for medical results. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Waiting for medical results.

.. .. .... ...
But a few days ago I noticed a sore throat. I was surprised to see white patches all over the entire surface of my palate and throat. Upon my doc's examination, he reported that it was 'thrush.' He defined that as an "opportunistic infection that may be related to immunity." He needed to draw blood.

... .. .. .. ..

I broke my neck in a car accident in 1987 and was ticked off more for missing work-outs than over the injury.

. .. .. ...

Tourist I had that many years ago and the dentist did a biopsy and it was benign. Over the years I have connected the dots that if I take very many NSIDS (aspirin, Ibuprophen, naproxen soda) I get this like clockwork. I have Arthritis as I get older so it's a catch 22. My wife's Uncle is a Baptist preacher and he's always telling me alcohol is not good. I tell him I would quit drinking in a heartbeat if I could take all the ibrupropen I wanted.

I also broke my neck in an auto accident in 1996 (C-7). My biggest problem during the neck thing was we did not have cable then and I had to sit home for 8 weeks watching 4 channels on rabbit ears. Also wearing a cast from my chest to my chin caused my beard to grow into my skin and was quite uncomfortable. For some reason I did not get a halo. Those guys could shave.

I also broke my neck in an auto accident in 1996 (C-7).

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you were not in pain.

These are serious injuries, and could lead to death or being paralyzed. I have no idea how I got so lucky.

Structurally, I was injured worse than Christopher Reeve, and never felt a thing or lost a drop of blood. I pulled myself out of the totaled car.

I went to the gym for the next entire week. I did not seek medical care until I felt something grinding in my neck. An MRI revealed that I had broken C2 in half and C5 into three pieces. Once admitted to the hospital I found a 4x4 sheet of plywood in the bathroom replete with metal straps bent into circular loops and held with 9/16s bolts. They were to secure my head after surgery.

Surgery never happened. A flex/extension test (done in the morgue) revealed nothing was shifting. Years of weight lifting finally paid off for something. I got a simple 'transport collar' and two months of care from a neurologist before having my life handed back.

I spent two weeks on my butt, and then careful bicycle aerobics at the gym, where I was only allowed to lift 25 pounds. To this day I am still baffled on why Heaven kept me alive. Oh, and many thanks to St. Mary's Hospital in Madison.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you were not in pain.

These are serious injuries, and could lead to death or being paralyzed. I have no idea how I got so lucky.

Structurally, I was injured worse than Christopher Reeve, and never felt a thing or lost a drop of blood. I pulled myself out of the totaled car.

I went to the gym for the next entire week. I did not seek medical care until I felt something grinding in my neck. An MRI revealed that I had broken C2 in half and C5 into three pieces. Once admitted to the hospital I found a 4x4 sheet of plywood in the bathroom replete with metal straps bent into circular loops and held with 9/16s bolts. They were to secure my head after surgery.

Surgery never happened. A flex/extension test (done in the morgue) revealed nothing was shifting. Years of weight lifting finally paid off for something. I got a simple 'transport collar' and two months of care from a neurologist before having my life handed back.

I spent two weeks on my butt, and then careful bicycle aerobics at the gym, where I was only allowed to lift 25 pounds. To this day I am still baffled on why Heaven kept me alive. Oh, and many thanks to St. Mary's Hospital in Madison.

Well that's an interesting story. Glad you didn't have too many complications. Like you said broken necks can make couch potatoes for life. It was a long time ago but I did have quite a bit of pain. It also cut my left ear off (they sewed it back on) and few other injuries besides the neck. It's starting to hurt more (again) as I get older and it affects my sleep. But basically I'm ok for an older workin stiff.

I did have partial paralysis in the right arm. With 4 months of therapy I got most of my strength back in it, but when I do pushups I tend to go sideways since some of the muscles in the arm don't recieve messages correctly. When I first started therapy, I could not lift a 2lb dumbell above my head. My arm would get bout halfway up and just start shaking.

But I noticed my heart was racing like crazy, so I asked the Doc why was that with only a 2 lb dumbell. He said the brain was under the impression I was lifting 100lbs because of the effort being sent to the arm. So it was telling the heart to pick up the pace. The whole affair was kinda uncomfortable.

Have no memory of the auto accident, remember pulling out on a green light and next thing I know, was waking up in my truck instead of my bed. And there was an ambulance person in the front seat with me. :lolrolling The drunk that ran the red light tried to kill me but still living.

Funny you should mention memory.

I whacked my left frontal lobe fairly hard on the windshield. When they released me from the hospital they told me to notify my doctor of any changes. A week later I called him, and he told me to come in immediately.

When I arrived he asked me what had happened. I told him that while I *knew* the correct trivia answers, I was having trouble retrieving them when watching "Jeopardy."

Yikes, he about tossed me bodily out his office...

Back