free website stats program Waiting for medical results. | Harley Davidson Forums

Waiting for medical results.

You probably had not noticed, but over the past few days my "mood" indicator listed me as 'apprehensive.' I just changed it to 'goofy.'

Just got off the phone with my doctor, that in itself was thoughtful for the hour in my zone. I'm fine, probably pester my wife for another 30 years. But that's not my focus today.

As you know, I'm 61 years old. I don't look it, I have good genes and a severe barbell habit. And at this age the world is losing ways to scare me.

But a few days ago I noticed a sore throat. I was surprised to see white patches all over the entire surface of my palate and throat. Upon my doc's examination, he reported that it was 'thrush.' He defined that as an "opportunistic infection that may be related to immunity." He needed to draw blood.

I might be a biker, but I did work for a few years at a dental clinic, and I did know what he was aiming at.

Now, I have a healthy life style, no procedures of any kind dealing with needles, in fact, it's been months since I cut myself sharpening. Academically, I knew I was okay. Viscerally, I was more than 'concerned.'

Coupled with this, my medical provider just recalled over 2,000 patients for possible blood contamination and was doing tests on them. I was told not to expect test results for a week or more. Clearly, my doctor pushed my results through. He saw to it that the good news got to me within 36 hours of the blood draw.

Everyone fears something. I do not fear drunken townies and 'bangers because they fear the coroner. I must admit that outrunning a Kenworth to pass is quite thrilling. I broke my neck in a car accident in 1987 and was ticked off more for missing work-outs than over the injury.

But you stick me with a tiny needle and make me wait for a few days, and nothing concoles me. In fact, I'm still not totally uplifted yet. I still feel a bit shaken from the experience. It will take the better part of day to shake the funk.

Glad to hear the results where favorable for you. Thanks for sharing your story.
I think you owe it to your self to go out for a very long putt...:s

Glad to hear the results where favorable for you. Thanks for sharing your story.
I think you owe it to your self to go out for a very long putt...:s

And as is my luck, it just started to rain, and heavy storms are predicted!

But at my age I feel the need to be a mentor. And sometimes I see younger bikers engage in all sorts of things because they don't wish to be branded yellow or a leaker.

Perhaps by openly admitting I was scared, someone here might alter their behavior instead of doing something stupid to save face.

Its great that you want to be a mentor. Some of my best learning has come from well seasoned, experienced older gents that learning from a book could not compare...:s

to be a mentor

You should start a new thread reporting on this issue. It seems there are lots of guys here either in their 60s or approaching that age. We're not dead, and I believe most of the things in life are simply the human experience. Younger guys think they are discovering cutting edge things, when in reality it's simply the first time they've experienced it.

In this case, fear. I thing everyone gets afraid, even Audie Murphy. You just have to conquer fear. Sounds so mundane now, but I had to address that very principle in extending my arm, not even feeling the needle, and sealing my fate, for good or ill.

If my Guardian Angel, Harold, could have arranged it, I would have traded that few seconds for a barroom brawl.

Glad you're Doc got you the good news fast! It's never easy waiting to see what is wrong. As we get older (64) you are right saying that not much can shake us up. I like the saying "I'm not afraid of my death, I just don't want to be there when it happens!".

LOL. Guys our age seem to make jokes about death, probably a way to cope.

My joke is that I know how I'm going to die. In a tragic fall. Off of a six-foot blonde...

My wife is, in fact, a six foot blonde, but I'll do anything for a joke.:lolrolling

You're a realist Tourist, and I like that. At our age ( 59) we have lost many friends & relatives. Many way before their time was up. As we know, life ain't fair! I'm glad that your prognosis wasn't dire. Now get on that steed of yours and bathe in the sun & wind in your face! :cheers

Good for you and Kudos to your Dr, At 59 I want to ride another 20 years with the help of my DR:cheers

a realist...I'm glad that your prognosis wasn't dire.

Thanks, guys. I needed a pat on the back today.

I think that's the message we should be explaining to younger folks. For example, when I point out smoking issues to some bikers (and far too great a percentage of bikers smoke) I get the old, "It's my right, man."

Well, picture the scene. I go into the doctor for a sore throat, a virtual picture of health. I look more a gray haired 40 year old, good muscle tone, crystal clear lungs, 110/70 blood pressure and the doc politely conveys the fact I might be infected with HIV. What if that "sore throat" was something more serious, after all, it was for Sonny Barger.

I don't care how hard you grind off your foot-pegs, or how low your E.T. is or how deft you are at kicking butts. When your doc thinks you're dying it hits you like a brick. I got scared--like "little girl" scared. In fact, isn't this scenario the plot for the song "Live Like You Are Dying"?

Next thing I know I'm holding out my arm. And my future, my fate, my entire life is inside a tiny vial of blood. Trust me, guys, that short defining moment sure drove home all of the things in life that really mattered.

Back