free website stats program Vss | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vss

No harm in trying this procedure. See if any codes are set.

Thanks Hoople, that seems pretty simple. I suppose IF the code indicates CLR - its OK and IF the code indicates SET - then I see what the code is in the chart and see what wire is shorted out........... and go from there.

Thanks
Bill

No harm in trying this procedure. See if any codes are set.

Thanks Hoople, that WAS simple. I did the test and all 10 codes reflected CLR. Then I got a "PPU" indicated and pushed the trip button one more time I got pulses number 82883. I expect that the CLR means no shorts in the wiring. You may want to explain to me what 'short high and short low" means just so I will know. EDIT added here -- Also, what is the CLEAR test telling me? My speedometer should be working!!!! haha - I didnt think it would be that easy.

Thanks
Bill

Seeing all CLR's means no errors were detected. A "Clear" just means that a malfunction for that particular test (tests D01 through D10) was not found or logged. As far as the speedo is concerned, everything on the surface looks OK.

A proper VSS output will be a voltage that toggles from about .25 volts (a logic low) to about 10 volts (a logic high) with a frequency of about 1350/second while at 60 mph. If the output of pin 12 was to remain low (.25 volts) for a given period of time and did not toggle, a D10 shorted low error code would be set. If the output of pin 12 did not toggle and remained high (10 volts) for a given period of time, a D09 shorted high error code would set.

The VSS output (see attachment) is the white wire going to pin 9 of the speedo. If the bike is fuel injected and has an ECM,, the speedo passes the VSS info out to the ECM via the white/green wire (pin 12). Since you don't have a SET D09 or D10 code, the vss signal is probably passing through the speedo and is ok..

These tests are not proof positive by any means. They are only meant to give you a starting point.

Looking at attachment, you may want to inspect connector 39A & 39B, making sure it is clean and making good contact.

Attachments

• Speedo_2001.pdf
    32.6 KB · Views: 11
Seeing all CLR's means no errors were detected. A "Clear" just means that a malfunction for that particular test (tests D01 through D10) was not found or logged. As far as the speedo is concerned, everything on the surface looks OK.

A proper VSS output will be a voltage that toggles from about .25 volts (a logic low) to about 10 volts (a logic high) with a frequency of about 1350/second while at 60 mph. If the output of pin 12 was to remain low (.25 volts) for a given period of time and did not toggle, a D10 shorted low error code would be set. If the output of pin 12 did not toggle and remained high (10 volts) for a given period of time, a D09 shorted high error code would set.

The VSS output (see attachment) is the white wire going to pin 9 of the speedo. If the bike is fuel injected and has an ECM,, the speedo passes the VSS info out to the ECM via the white/green wire (pin 12). Since you don't have a SET D09 or D10 code, the vss signal is probably passing through the speedo and is ok..

These tests are not proof positive by any means. They are only meant to give you a starting point.

Looking at attachment, you may want to inspect connector 39A & 39B, making sure it is clean and making good contact.

I will and thanks again for your help. will get back with findings. what's PPU?
Bill

well folks, here's my update for you. I replaced the VSS ($64) - no problem. The speedometer is still not working. so it appears I will be in the market for a new speedometer (~$400 plus labor at HD Shop)

Bill

You should be able to replace the speedo yourself. Unscrew the dash,lift up and flip over. The speedo wiring just plugs into it the speedo. Unplug and plug in the new one. I think there is a plastic ring/clamp that holds the speedo in place. You may have to twist it in one direction or the other to release it. Look at the ring/clamp and you can tell. Then the speedo lifts out. If memory servers me correctly
tourbox

You should be able to replace the speedo yourself. Unscrew the dash,lift up and flip over. The speedo wiring just plugs into it the speedo. Unplug and plug in the new one. I think there is a plastic ring/clamp that holds the speedo in place. You may have to twist it in one direction or the other to release it. Look at the ring/clamp and you can tell. Then the speedo lifts out. If memory servers me correctly
tourbox

:s Good info here, you on right on track:s

tourbox

:s Good info here, you on right on track:s

Thanks -- I believe you are correct too. I just may have to do that. The hard part is buying the new speedometer!! ;-))
Bill

Back