free website stats program Vss | Harley Davidson Forums

Vss

Billbo

Vehicle speed sensor on softtail model. I need to replace my VSS, does anyone know IF I can simply cut the wire and splice in the new VSS without taking the rear fender apart to remove mounting bolt??? I would think that IF possible, it would be neat to just install the new one using some sort of quick connect plug and then, from then on, VSS replacement would be simple.

any feedback/comments appreciated.

Bill

without taking the rear fender apart to remove mounting bolt???

I take it that you really don't mean the VSS mounting bolt. It's the electrical connector you can't get at right?

You could install something like this Delphi weather-pack connector. (Ebay item 230864482015) I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

I take it that you really don't mean the VSS mounting bolt. It's the electrical connector you can't get at right?

You could install something like this Delphi weather-pack connector. (Ebay item 230864482015) I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

Thanks Tank and Hoople --- I had posted earlier about my speedometer not working. My turn signals cancel just fine and my odometer works just fine using mile markers on the interstate. I know that seems to indicate my speedometer has crashed, BUT, the VSS is about $60 and a new speedometer is about $400, so I think I will try the VSS first, then if needed, a new speedo. I have removed the VSS and cleaned it using a rag only, and reinstalled -- did no good. Then got to thinking, I will replace the VSS and ask IF I can just cut the wires off old and splice in the new VSS without having to go up under the fender and remove the weatherguard etc. I am of course assuming that that connection if clean and tight. hummm - maybe I should just go ahead and get in there and replace it without cutting and splicing wires!!!!

Thanks again for your inputs here. I do not like riding without a speedometer.

Bill

I hope your right about the VSS because it is cheaper. The fact that the odometer works though is a bad sign for the speedo.............

I hope your right about the VSS because it is cheaper. The fact that the odometer works though is a bad sign for the speedo.............

Bodeen, you are absolutely right!!! But, I have spoken to others with erratic speedos and the VSS fixed their problems so I almost HAVE to try it. ;-))
I'm tight with my $dollars.

Bill

Bodeen, you are absolutely right!!! But, I have spoken to others with erratic speedos and the VSS fixed their problems so I almost HAVE to try it. ;-))
I'm tight with my $dollars.

Bill

:s Good on you Bill, I hope this fixes your problem, you have a good attitude toward your own repairs, Best of Luck to you:D

I should have asked earlier but "not working" to me means the speedo pointer is on zero when going down the highway at 50 mph. Is it reading zero or is it erratic or bouncing?

Great point! Big difference.

I should have asked earlier but "not working" to me means the speedo pointer is on zero when going down the highway at 50 mph. Is it reading zero or is it erratic or bouncing?

sorry for being so late -- my speedo operates VERY erratically. I mean sometimes it reads a MPH and sometimes it doesn't -- its always wrong MPH and sometimes it reads max - like 120 and sometimes it reads 0 like sitting still but always when I am moving. I can even park it and it will be reading 70MPH. Very erratic I'd say. remember Shultz "vedy vedy intadesting" humm well I know I cant spell German - ;-))) but it was a good TV show.

Bill

Back