free website stats program voltmeter readings | Harley Davidson Forums

voltmeter readings

the melvin

On my 2011 Road Glide, which I just replaced the battery in, I have a reading of 14-15 when running which I know is normal. But when I shut the bike off the gauge reads 12. Is it normal for the gauge to read this when the bike is off? I have no problems with starting and the battery seems to keep a charge.

:wbs
I'm sure someone with a similar year model will chime in, but my 03 goes to 0 when the bike is off and runs around 15V when running. 14.7V is the actual norm I believe. Not sure if the newer models maintain a reading when they're not running.

On my 2011 Road Glide, which I just replaced the battery in, I have a reading of 14-15 when running which I know is normal. But when I shut the bike off the gauge reads 12. Is it normal for the gauge to read this when the bike is off? I have no problems with starting and the battery seems to keep a charge.

Welcome to The Forum. These gauges are not exactly accurate, you can cross check this with a known good multi meter at the battery on your bike

While you're checking things with the multi meter I think I would check to be sure that when the bike is off there is no voltage to the gauge itself.

That sounds normal to me. When running, the battery is getting power from the VR. Once the engine is off, then the battery voltage is being read by the gauge. With lights and other load on, it is not surprising that the battery will read around 12 Vdc.

TQ

Most batteries will read around 13V right when you shut it off & then drop to 12.5- 12.7 depending on how the battery is. If it is dropping down to 12V I would say you either have a good draw on it (which should show up with a dead battery left sitting for a day or two) or the battery is not in good shape & should be replaced. Was it with a good volt meter? Or looking at the gauge on the bike? You may want to check it on another battery (such as your car) to see how accurate it is.

Toby

Back