free website stats program Voltage Regulator? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Regulator?

No worries TQ...the Rx1 scale is the "diode" check range, as it puts the most forward current to turn on diodes...the other ranges produce milli-volts and micro-volts which are way to small to "turn on" a diode junction. The highest scale Rx10,000 or higher in the old days used 9V battery (we are talking old analog meters like the ol' Simpson 260 sitting in my garage for "nostalgia") :newsmile100:, but the current was still too low to turn on the junction, but could measure leakage currents which is still pretty handy, but who has one nowadays...LOL:D

Me and Hoople LOL, I still have a Sun Vat 28 with a new carbon pile, I can load test almost any battery alive or dead LOL, TQ hope you get it figured out, were burnin daylight:p

Added some info above.

Hmmm. Well my forte' is NOT the sparky stuff as you can tell!! My DVOM may not have enough bells and whistles for what I need to do to check this VR. Here is a shot of my cheapy meter. (Sorry for the nasty pix, just used my cel!)

Couldn't stand it! Here is a pix from the camera.

TQ

BATTERY!!!

Oh well. Forced me to read the destructions that came with my little DVOM. Now I know how to use it to test diodes!! Only out $200 for the new VR I did not need! Oh well. Old one is now my spare!! :s

TQ

TQ, I just saw your posts... You might want to check the output voltage on your charger. I had a perfectly good H-D battery ruined by a charger that failed internally and started putting out 19 volts. It wasn't the "Battery Tender" brand, but needless to say that's whats connected now...

TQ, I just saw your posts... You might want to check the output voltage on your charger. I had a perfectly good H-D battery ruined by a charger that failed internally and started putting out 19 volts. It wasn't the "Battery Tender" brand, but needless to say that's whats connected now...

Harry,

That is what I was worried about, so I hooked it up to the old battery after charging that with a regular battery charger. Checked it and it seemed to switch to the maintenace mode like it is supposed to around 14.5 Vdc. Here is the spec on how the Battery Tender Jr. is supposed to work:

• Fully automatic two-stage lead-acid battery charger. Perfect for all lead-acid, sealed maintenance free and gel cell batteries.
  • After reaching peak 14.4 VDC, charger automatically switches to 13.2 VDC float voltage.
  • When voltage drops below 12.6 VDC, charger resumes charging back to 14.4 VDC.
  • Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.
  • Spark proof.
  • Reverse polarity protected.
  • 12 ft output cord.
  • 5 year warranty.

Charged up the new battery and then put the tender on it. Kept a very close eye on it, and somewhere around 14.6-14.7 (14.64 I think) it switch to the float mode and the light switched to flashing green. Within a bit, it had switched to solid green.

So thanx for the warning, but I think this unit is working within tolerance. But I have ordered a new one anyway from Derby Cycles.

TQ

That's one of the things I like about the "Battery Tender" brand. I can open the door to the garage, and see from across the room the green light :D Glad you got this worked out.

Yeah. So it was as my first inclination indicated, the BATTERY!! But I now also have a nice new VR on it too!! :s

I think I will start a survey under separate thread on how long folks have gotten on their batteries. I had installed this old one in 4/06. That means it was 4 1/2 years of constant use. Not too bad. Odyssey PC 925LMJ:

Odyssey PC925 LMJ

Alot heavier than the HD battery I just put in. But I will have some comparative info in the next few year!!

TQ

You cant complain about that sort of life from a motorcycle battery as it does have a hard life then gets a rest then gets a hard life again

Brian

You cant complain about that sort of life from a motorcycle battery as it does have a hard life then gets a rest then gets a hard life again

Brian

Yeah.

Brian, I am headed back your way today. Will be the same full-on schedule, but let me know what you have going on. Maybe we can meet for dinner or something one night. I am in Aberdeen until the end of the month.

TQ

Back