free website stats program Voltage Regulator? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Regulator?

Well that does indicate the start relay and security circuits are GOOD. Sure does sound like a battery that is toast..

Whats the voltage drop when you push the start button I bet low

Aye it looks like TQ is going to be spending a wee bit of money down at the stealers :s
Just think how lucky you are you arent buying it here as most stuff doubles in price as it crosses the pond :(

Brian

Aye it looks like TQ is going to be spending a wee bit of money down at the stealers :s
Just think how lucky you are you arent buying it here as most stuff doubles in price as it crosses the pond :(

Brian

Except Ale LOL:p

There should be a scale on the meter that has a picture of a diode on it. See attachment.
The selected range on this meter has the picture of the diode to the far right.

An ohm meter uses an internal battery to calculate the ohms in a circuit. The diode range is the "High" range that will "turn on" or forward bias a diode.

Added some info above.

Hmmm. Well my forte' is NOT the sparky stuff as you can tell!! My DVOM may not have enough bells and whistles for what I need to do to check this VR. Here is a shot of my cheapy meter. (Sorry for the nasty pix, just used my cel!)

Couldn't stand it! Here is a pix from the camera.

TQ

Attachments

• Multimeter-1.jpg
    Multimeter-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 14
  • Multimeter.jpg
    Multimeter.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hmmm. Well my forte' is NOT the sparky stuff as you can tell!! My DVOM may not have enough bells and whistles for what I need to do to check this VR. Here is a shot of my cheapy meter. (Sorry for the nasty pix, just used my cel!)

TQ

DC volt scale 20 should tell you at the battery you should read about 13 v or higher @ idle IMO

DC volt scale 20 should tell you at the battery you should read about 13 v or higher @ idle IMO

Jack,

It is reading 13+ Vdc while fully "charged" and on the tender. As soon as I take the tender off, it starts dropping. Turn on the key switch and push the button, and it drops a bunch. Can't get to a started condition.

So, I agree with you guys above. I guess it is the Holy Cow battery at the Dealership!! This was my FIRST intuition yesterday, but I second guessed and then performed the WRONG test for my system. So now I have a spare VR too!! Oh well. It is off to help keep the Dealership's doors open and shell out $165 for one of their HD batteries (does HD make batteries?).

Thank all you guys for your help and advice.

TQ

Added some info above.

Hmmm. Well my forte' is NOT the sparky stuff as you can tell!! My DVOM may not have enough bells and whistles for what I need to do to check this VR. Here is a shot of my cheapy meter. (Sorry for the nasty pix, just used my cell)!

Couldn't stand it! Here is a pix from the camera.

TQ

No worries TQ...the Rx1 scale or in your case the unlabeld Rx20 "diode" ->| check range, as it applies the most forward current to turn on diodes junctions...the other ranges produce milli-volts and micro-volts which are way too small to "turn on" a diode junction (approx. 0.8VDC).

An OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) makes it for HD...Jack knows who, your Odessey battery is made by Johnson Controls.

The highest scale Rx10,000 or higher in the old days used 9V battery (we are talking OLD analog meters like the black ol' Simpson 260 sitting in my garage for "nostalgia") :newsmile100:, but the current was still too low to turn on the junction, but could measure leakage currents which is still pretty handy...but who has one nowadays...LOL:D

Last edited:
Back