free website stats program Voltage Regulator Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Regulator Issue

jimbo67

Hey everyone I have a question, it may sound like a stupid question. However I am more familiar with fixing cars than bikes lol. Anyways I was told my voltage regulator on my 73 Iron/Shovelhead 1000 is shot. The one that is on it is after market. My system runs on a 12 volt generator system, not a stator. Can I use a voltage regulator off a bike that runs off of a stator, on my bike that runs off of a generator? Thanks!

Nope, it won't work. The output of a generator is DC and the output of a stator is AC.

Welcome to the forum Jimbo. Do a Google search "car voltage regulator on a harley". you will get a lot of info to sift through, and maybe find a less expensive regulator for your Ironhead.

Thanks guys for suggestions, I replaced voltage regulator. However she is still not holding charge. It was a brand new regulator, battery and generator have tested out fine.........I am really stumped at this point, got anything else for me to try? Thanks~

Thanks guys for suggestions, I replaced voltage regulator. However she is still not holding charge. It was a brand new regulator, battery and generator have tested out fine.........I am really stumped at this point, got anything else for me to try? Thanks~

Have you load tested the battery and did you polarize the generator prior to start up, any time the battery is out of the loop you should do this http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/chopsgarage/PolarizeGenerator.jpg

Back