Voltage Regulator Issue

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by jimbo67, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jimbo67

jimbo67 New Member

Hey everyone I have a question, it may sound like a stupid question. However I am more familiar with fixing cars than bikes lol. Anyways I was told my voltage regulator on my 73 Iron/Shovelhead 1000 is shot. The one that is on it is after market. My system runs on a 12 volt generator system, not a stator. Can I use a voltage regulator off a bike that runs off of a stator, on my bike that runs off of a generator? Thanks!

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Nope, it won't work. The output of a generator is DC and the output of a stator is AC.

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jimbo. Do a Google search "car voltage regulator on a harley". you will get a lot of info to sift through, and maybe find a less expensive regulator for your Ironhead.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

5. Jack Klarich

6. jimbo67

jimbo67 New Member

Thanks guys for suggestions, I replaced voltage regulator. However she is still not holding charge. It was a brand new regulator, battery and generator have tested out fine.........I am really stumped at this point, got anything else for me to try? Thanks~

7. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Using a meter, what voltage reading do you get when measured directly across the battery. Measure at both idle and at 2500 RPM.

8. Jack Klarich

Have you load tested the battery and did you polarize the generator prior to start up, any time the battery is out of the loop you should do this http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu346/chopsgarage/PolarizeGenerator.jpg

9. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Did you polarize the generator as Jack mentioned in post #4?