free website stats program Voltage Regulator Failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Regulator Failure

Before affected 2012 owners replace their regulator, check the condition of the shield covering the DC outlet wire...it's the two-wire bundle that leaves the right side of the regulator and passes under the right engine motor mount. It goes to the 40 amp fuse (B+) and chassis ground (B-).

On my new '12 Road King that wire was jammed between the frame and the right motormount bolt head that extends below the front of the engine. When running, that shaking bolt had chaffed through the external rubber/fiberglass wiring shield, and was on the way through the wires inside in only a few hundred miles. The chafe area is on top of the bundle, and hard to see unless it's pulled out from under the frame.

If the bolt head eventually wears through the B+ wire insulation, it can cause intermittent high current demand on the alternator and may cause it to fail. If sustained, it should blow the 40A fuse between the wire and battery. I didn't have a problem yet.

For a fix I put some 3/4" heatshrink tubing over the worn area and cable tied the wire bundle away from the bolt.

Gary

I had a regulator problem on my 07 Ultra coming back from Biketoberfest in Daytona last year. Voltage dropped off to about 11 with a light. Pressed on toward home and it gradually dropped to about 9.5 before wierd things started happening. Tach & Speedo went crazy first then bike began to run REALLY rough. Died just as I was approaching my driveway. Put the charger on it overnight and checked in the morning and it was not charging. Drove it to the Dealer for repair (ESP) but...made the fatal mistake of walking in the showroom with the wife. Needless to say, that was probably the most expensive voltage regulator I ever bought as it came wrapped in a new 2012 Ultra.

I just logged in to the HD owners website under my VIN.
Harley has initiated a program for 2012 regulators effective as of 6-11-12.
All vehicles built between 10-1-11 through 3-31-12 (EXCEPT V-ROD) are effected. Product program 0912. A web search will pull up the service bulletin.

Went to the dealer yesterday....they changed mine in less than 30min... free wash job...very painless...those with any 2012 models all models evcept v-rod should call their dealer..they already have a list with the effected owners...beat the rush before the letters from the moco get out...the vreg. are going to be in short supply when that happens...JMHO...

All vehicles built between 10-1-11 through 3-31-12 (EXCEPT V-ROD) are effected. Product program 0912. A web search will pull up the service bulletin.

The same thing happened with my 2006 Road King. MoCo had a VR recall. YOu'd think after one recall, the MoCo would watch this issue closely.

Here's a link to the actual Service Bulletin I found on another forum:

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

The combination of a bad battery and low regulator may have over worked the stator, have a smell inside your primary does it smell burned?
thanx jack when i got home my dealer picked up the bike and it turned out the original dealer never checked the stator. So i wind up getting another new regulator and stator 2 weeks before my 5year esp expired saving me 872 dollars. That was 28 bucks less then i paid for the esp. Thank goodness i got the esp for 900 bucks i recieved about 35 hundred dollars worth of repairs after my original 2 year factory warranty expired.

thanx jack when i got home my dealer picked up the bike and it turned out the original dealer never checked the stator. So i wind up getting another new regulator and stator 2 weeks before my 5year esp expired saving me 872 dollars. That was 28 bucks less then i paid for the esp. Thank goodness i got the esp for 900 bucks i recieved about 35 hundred dollars worth of repairs after my original 2 year factory warranty expired.

Thats great to hear somebody got their money's worth out of the warranty! Most times its just after it ran out.......

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday with just over 12,000 miles on my 2012 FLHTC. Eng and Batt lights came on and Volt meter dropped to just under 12v. Called the Dealer and took it right over. It was the Voltage Reg. Stator was okay as was the Batt.
WHEW! All covered.......

with just over 12,000 miles on my 2012 FLHTC. Eng and Batt lights came on and Volt meter dropped to just under 12v.

Tympanium Corporation out of Malden MA has been the voltage regulator vendor for over a decade. And for the number of bikes out there, the problems have really been few. It now makes me wonder if HD found a new supplier or did Tympanium just found a new way to save some money.

Back