free website stats program Voltage meter lying to me | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage meter lying to me

zoood

Product Contributor
I checked the stator and it's output is correct. Did all the checks by the book. There's nothing wrong with it. When viewing my voltage gauge. At first it was keeping the battery at around 13+ volts. A two mile scoot down the road and it started reading 11 volts. When I brought back to the shop and did all the stator checks. Hooked it back up, started the bike and the voltage meter went back up to 12+ volts for a moment or so,... than dropped back to 11 volts. What the heck is causing this? Ive a trip to do Sunday and Ive a need to know right-a-way.

There's been stators that seemed OK but in reality were fried. Have you smelled the primary oil to see if it smells burnt?

Possibly the regulator toasted of a bad ground?

I need another way to check that. Theres new oil in the primary and my sniffer doesnt work.

seriously

been reading there. am going out to shop to check the regulator. regulator was installed by hd back last september.

be back inna little

Did check number two with DDM. Had voltage on both pins of regulator. I take it that mines the older type regulator? Has two wires (pins) going in and one out to battery.

zoood

Zoood, Is your system single phase or 3 phase. Check to see if you have 2 or 3 wire stator. Two wire is single phase.

So I take it that since I had voltage at the pins. The regulator is no good?

Last edited:
Ok. What is the condition of your battery. Has it been load tested recently. Would you know for a fact it is good. Can you crank the bike with the spark plugs grounded out for 10 seconds and the voltage does not fall below 10.50v or so?

Does your digital volt meter have "diode test" on it. Meaning does it have an ohm range that has the little symbol for a diode.

Back