free website stats program voltage gauge | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

voltage gauge

My 03 classic runs at 15.5 volts and at idle runs 14 volt checked all the system with a good meter everything is fine , when the gauge stops working will swap it out for a better quality one.

thanks. been out of town for 3 weeks and only home on weekends. bike has been like this since new. i will try to verify results but i figured it was just the wacky guage. since nothing else is right on this bike, air temp, oil press., etc., i have guessed (assumed, yes i know) that everyting is ok. only 9k showing so i better get it in for a 10k before i go to Canada in july. this WILL be brutal. thanks for the concern. you guys have definetinly made my life easier.

my '10 does thes same thing going up to almost 16 volts when engine is at 2500. since i keep the battery on charge for the parasitic draw, i'm not worried. just hard to believe the gauges are this far off. my '01 rk does dim the lights at a stop but it has all the lights of the classic plus some. no issues here either.

At 16 volts I bet that battery is hot to the touch, I would be looking into that with a good multi meter

Sounds normal my 2010 ultra limited at an idle will say 14 volts maybe a bit less with the dash gage, apply the brake lights and it will drop to 13 volts give or take, turn the passing lights on and down to 12 volts but the lights don't dim, battery is good. I have never had trouble and during the cold weather I plug in heated gear.

My 99 drops to 10 v & gets up to 15 above idle. Been doing that since I got the bike in 10/06. I checked it with a DVM & it was above battery volts, so I have not worried about it. Even with the new stator, rotor & regulator it does the same thing & that is over a year now. Same battery & I am not sure how old it was when I got the bike. Good luck

Toby

Back