free website stats program Voltage Fluctuating | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Fluctuating

sjr56

Banned
I searched and didn't see my problem on the site. My 2001 injected RK headlight started dimming then jumping back to normal last night. I checked and showed 12.6 at Batt. Started and tested, shoed 13.4 @idle but as I slowly revved up the voltage went up to 14.5 but would drop and rise even as the rpms stayed the same. Tested the stator and no shorts to ground or itself, and output was 16.4vac @idle and rose to 65vac @ approx. 3000(no tach). My check engine lite comes on and off @ no general pattern, but shows no codes. I hate to just start throwing parts at it. Any ideas? I'm taking the battery to load test tomorrow, but I'm leaning to the regulator.
Thanks

I also was reading Batt. voltage @ the regulator plug. Does the No-voltage test apply to 2001 2 wire models?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the regulator ground at the transmission exhaust bracket, to ensure the bolt is snug.
WAP.gif

Should have waited to post. I'll ride tomorrow to test, but when I pulled the batt. the frame groung nut was way loose. Tight now so I'm crossing fingers.

Back