free website stats program Voltage drop | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage drop

Voltage at battery lug on starter is same as battery voltage.
Your problem then lies in either the switch voltage drop, over heated relay, loose ground or a weak starter drawing excess voltage IMO Does your Dyna have the earth ground strap under the engine?

No "strap" but I have a ground from starter bolt to ground stud under the seat.
From the -side of the battery I have cable to the ground stud and another to a stud located behind where the circuit breakers,relays and coil are located.
I think I'll replace the ignition switch to see if I get the same voltage when I turn the switch plus a new relay. Cheapest route then starter if all else fails. Do you think I should rebuild solenoid?

No "strap" but I have a ground from starter bolt to ground stud under the seat.
From the -side of the battery I have cable to the ground stud and another to a stud located behind where the circuit breakers,relays and coil are located.
I think I'll replace the ignition switch to see if I get the same voltage when I turn the switch plus a new relay. Cheapest route then starter if all else fails. Do you think I should rebuild solenoid?
With bike in neutral run switch on ignition on, jump the starter from battery lug to ignition side, does it spin up and start good? If not you have found your answer, IE solenoid contacts or starter motor and jack shaft need attention

Back