free website stats program Voltage dips | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage dips

Anything for you Hoop.:small3d019:

Worked up a sweat on that one :D

I think we should pimp Hoople out to make some money. Did you see this at the top of the forum?

Ask a Harley Mechanic Now 7 Harley Mechanics Are Online! Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.

OK, some new observations. Riding into work tonite I noticed that the voltage output was about 13.8v or more at and above 2k rpms, when the turn signals were on the voltage would drop to about 12.3v. Also, while at idle (apx 750 to 800 rpm) the output would drop just below 12v. If I bump the throttle a bit it would jump to appx 13v. At 2k and above everything works good ( turn, headlights, driving lights and rear lights) however, the rear brakes makes a dip to just below 12v. hmmmmmmmm...

OK, some new observations. Riding into work tonite I noticed that the voltage output was about 13.8v or more at and above 2k rpms, when the turn signals were on the voltage would drop to about 12.3v. Also, while at idle (apx 750 to 800 rpm) the output would drop just below 12v. If I bump the throttle a bit it would jump to appx 13v. At 2k and above everything works good ( turn, headlights, driving lights and rear lights) however, the rear brakes makes a dip to just below 12v. hmmmmmmmm...

The diagrams that were uploaded are typical diagrams (because they cover a spread of model year bikes ) and do not show all your exact components. The dash voltmeter is missing. I would need a model year specific schematic of your bike in order to give you a step by step procedure on how to troubleshoot your problem.

Do you have the EXACT service manual for your model & year bike.

Ok, here we go again. I have a '90 FLHTCU and get big voltage drops when using the turn signals and rear brakes. The meter on the dash shows a drop to 8 to 10 volts at idle. However, no drop when using the rear brakes. I have a new stator and voltage regulator, 32 volt as original, but still have the dip. Also at idle the voltage reads right at 12 volts. It will increase to 14 with all the lights off.
There is a start for ya'. I'm sure I left out some important details and I will be happy to fill them in as prompted.
Thanks in advance for the help all are so great at giving!:34:
----------------------------------
Agree with the idle? Low?

Are all these light you talk about Stock OR have some been added?

signed....BUBBIE

sorry I have been out for a day, I was awakend yesterday to my old lady screaming. Seems she tried to break up a dog fight between our hound and our daughters dog and got bit on the arm. So an afternoon in the ER, and the rest of the day taking care of her put my wrenching behind a bit, bit thats OK, She's worth it and doing good now, just real sore and sewn up.
The lights are all factory on the bike and she idles at 750 to 800 rpm. Hoop, Im gonna try to upload the schematics from my service manual I have on disk. Im no 'puter whiz, so no guarantees!

Well, no go on the schematics. It wont let me cut or copy off the disc. not sure where to go now, everything I found online I have to buy....again

The lights are all factory on the bike and she idles at 750 to 800 rpm.
IF you take it to 950 RPM/1000 RPM,,, Does it work Normal on the charging??

I think the 950 to 1000 may be needed to charge at the idle..

My bikes always set around 1000 RPM.. So used to the sound, I hardly look and on my 09 No tach...

signed....BUBBIE

Back