free website stats program Voltage dips | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage dips

doc2nd2

Ok, here we go again. I have a '90 FLHTCU and get big voltage drops when using the turn signals and rear brakes. The meter on the dash shows a drop to 8 to 10 volts at idle. However, no drop when using the rear brakes. I have a new stator and voltage regulator, 32 volt as original, but still have the dip. Also at idle the voltage reads right at 12 volts. It will increase to 14 with all the lights off.
There is a start for ya'. I'm sure I left out some important details and I will be happy to fill them in as prompted.
Thanks in advance for the help all are so great at giving!:34:

Ok, here we go again. I have a '90 FLHTCU and get big voltage drops when using the turn signals and rear brakes. The meter on the dash shows a drop to 8 to 10 volts at idle. However, no drop when using the rear brakes. I have a new stator and voltage regulator, 32 volt as original, but still have the dip. Also at idle the voltage reads right at 12 volts. It will increase to 14 with all the lights off.
There is a start for ya'. I'm sure I left out some important details and I will be happy to fill them in as prompted.
Thanks in advance for the help all are so great at giving!:34:

How is the battery, did you load test it? 12 volts @ idle is not charging, you are running direct off the battery and not for long. I would recheck that regulator and ground. Make sure the stator wire is plugged in and secure
Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

check this out and see if it helps, Capital Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Jack, the batt is brand new and I did a load test at autozone.Got the Stator wire pugged in good. I will refer to the charging system link and see whats up there. I guess the regulator is a chassis ground so I will make sure the connection is clean. Thanks for the input, I'm off tomorrow so I will have plenty of time! Thanks again for the tips.

Nah, its just a continuing saga of getting her up to par, I just got through replacing the final drive tranny pulley, Im trying to get all this done at once.

Would you be able to upload a couple of pages out of the service manual? Need to see a print of the schematic which shows the stator, regulator, battery, fuse panel, ignition key. Should only need 2 pages or so to get you rolling again.

Thanks Glider!.. Would you happen to have the nomenclature for the item numbers? Everything is just pictured as a square box!:)

1988key.gif
Thanks Glider!.. Would you happen to have the nomenclature for the item numbers? Everything is just pictured as a square box!:)

Bigger pic of the same.
http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/index.php?show=Harley_Davidson/Twins/1988-93_FLHS_889.gif

See what you can get from this .

Only for you Hoop:D

Back