free website stats program Volt Meter Fluctuation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Volt Meter Fluctuation

Brian, I just got to ask. So what would the Tick Under speed be.. Redline? :p:p

I dont no about tick under but if it was under tick over then it would be stopped i think
but then im scottish i was brought up speaking doric and later learned english so when i speak i speak a mixture of doric,scots, english with a wee bit of german thrown in so at times i can get a wee bit muddled on the best terminology to use especially as i dont fully understand the correct use of american english
however wherever ive been in the world ive never had diffuculty in going into a bar and ordering a beer that message gets across easily :D

Brian

:small3d007:I for one would go one or two ticks...of Beer, before I hit my limit...message received here just fine...but add one or two Scotch chasers...and I would be under (the table)...LOL!!! :newsmile030:

Opps, 10V-12V fluctuation is not a good sign. Your Harley charging system should be able to provide 13-14V at normal idle...as the battery if fully charged should read 12.6. New battery does not necessarily mean it is a good one...or fully charged. Many batteries come "dry charged" meaning the acid comes in separate container, and YOU (or the dealer) activate it when you fill the cells with the enclosed electrolyte...BUT you still have to charge it for a couple of hours to ensure proper mixing/saturation of the cell plates, to be able to deliver full 250 CCA or more when starting your HD Vtwin.

Last edited:
Engine off 13V engine idle 13v Engine @ 2000rpm 14v at the Battery.
I forgot to add when your moving along and put on the signal it goes from 13v to 12v on the volt meter guage (on the bike).

Frank

Using an external quality meter, all your readings are whole numbers? Those numbers are far off from what they should be.

I just have a fluke digital volt meter that I use for work .(electrician)
My suspicion is that my charging system is on its way out.
Don't know too much about motorcycle wiring and it's electrical system any input would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

What are the readings to one decimal place?
WAP.gif

Just whole numbers 13v at idle 14v @ 2000rpm I did it again

On a Fluke meter you should have several DC ranges. 0-2 volts,, 0-20 volts,, 0-200 volts,, 0-1000 volts. Your on too high a range. That's why your readings are all whole numbers. Place the meter in the 0-20 volt range. You will now be able to read in 1/100 of volts or 2 decimal places. 12 volts will now be 12.00 volts.

On a Fluke meter you should have several DC ranges. 0-2 volts,, 0-20 volts,, 0-200 volts,, 0-1000 volts. Your on too high a range. That's why your readings are all whole numbers. Place the meter in the 0-20 volt range. You will now be able to read in 1/100 of volts or 2 decimal places. 12 volts will now be 12.00 volts.

It just doesnt get any better than a Fluke meter:D

Back