free website stats program Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn?

I have an 09 heritage with a stage 4 103 kit(not happy with it). Bought it out of state. Thought it had warrantee. Took it to my local dealer he said anything with the race flags has no warrantee. It seems I am on my own in getting this thing to run right. If I had it to do over I would buy a stock bike and keep it that way till out of warrantee. Then do upgrades. I spent a lot of money on what I thought was going to be a great bike only to find out that I am going to spend even more to make it a decent bike. All said and done I could have bought a new 2011 for the what I am having to invest in an 09. This was my first and probably last experience with HD. I have just had better luck with the metric bikes. At a fraction of the cost of HD.

I'd be suprised if the MOCO covered upgrades done by anyone to include a dealer. Most warrantee's clearly state that any modifications will void the warrantee for any failure involving that part of the vehicle. If you look at the HD catalog it clearly worns:

WARNING
Installation of Screamin' Eagle Products, and similar products from other manufacturers, except some street legal offerings installed by authorized Harley dealers, may affect your H-D limited vehicle warranty. See your dealer for more information.

I hope this works out for the best for you.

Page 12 SE catalog states,installation of se products and similar off road or competition products from other manufacturers, except some street legal offerings installed by authorized harley dealers may void your hd limited vehicle warranty, see your dealer for more information

you should find a dealer when buying a bike that u trust and be nice to them. i just bought my second new bike since 08 . in march i shopped around for prices and the dealer i bought the firstone beat every dealer nation wide do to repeat business. I bought a 2010 ultra limited and after a 12 mile test ride the took the 103 of and done the stage 4 113 upgrade. they have been good on warranting this big belt ripping wheelie riddin powerhouse. no ?s ask they just fix it.. as far as the motor work goes with my dealer its a dont ask dont tell kind of deal as for as the warrenty goes.
good luck if you need a topend i have the complete 103 top end id like to sell

its all up to the dealer. used or not it is still in the limites of the 24 months. thats why it is a good idia to stay on dealers good side. dealer could just put the parts on and then turn in that it was replaced with warrentied parts. i have found that some dealerships are jerks and this one sounds like one of those dealers. mine is awsome. from the salesman to the service evryone at charlies is out to help the rider. very hard to find.
good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
From experience : when a customer had a failure with HD extended warranty. Call HD warranty department. Had to get customers authorization for dio and tear down. After finding failure work up estimate with needed parts and part numbers, Warranty labor operation codes and recall Warranty center. This is where you found out what was or was not covered due to the failed component. They would usually cover consequential damaged from a covered part failure. Had one instance with Screaming Eagle upgrades that some of the upgrade failures were not covered. Service Manager negotiated with Hd warranty to cover O.E parts and cust had to pay difference. Cust not happy but a least received some warranty assistance instead of a denied claim. So extensively question salesman or finance rep at dealer as to what is and is not covered. Remember part of their income comes from selling warranties and will tell you what ever you want to hear to make the sale.

I do not see a location but in Texas Dealers provide a Warranty Statement showing remaining coverage from MoCo or as-is status.
Did the Dealer you purchased from do the Engine build?
If they did the work then they knowingly sold you a Race-Only Vehicle provided a Paper Dealer Tag and Illegally obtained Permanant Tags
Hope you can get things worked out.

Basically all bikes are out of warranty when we start adding PCV's new pipes and slips ons and even air cleaners. You can get messed over by any dealer if they want too. Sad but true.

Well, 18 months into it the engine blew with 12,000 miles on it. I had the bike towed to a different dealer because it was closer and they told me the engine was junk and the 103 installed by the original was the stage 4 racing kit and that did void the warranty.
Any suggestions before the lawyers get involved?

Have you found out what SPECIFICALLY caused the engine failure? Was it due to the components of the upgrade or something else engine wise?

There should be a disclosure made by the dealer when selling a bike with this "race only" motor mod in the bike otherwise the buyer could make an educated choice not to buy it and go for another bike with a street motor that would be covered under the factory warranty.

Your state AG or even the EPA should be contacted for help in reference to this practice by the dealer.

Possibly mention of this to the dealer would change his tune or it could be a very costly situation for him with the EPA.

This is the POST i would RE-READ... That bike Should NOT have been sold as a street legal bike.

As Glider Post here.... GET
"Your state AG or even the EPA should be contacted for help in reference to this practice by the dealer."

That is Flexing Your muscle!!!

signed....BUBBIE

all dealers are independently owned and operated. the moco will step back and wave their hands. it is not their problem and they will state that specifically. i am still waiting after a 3 page letter outlining my trans problem. warrantys are for the most part, a worthless piece of paper, UNLESS a dealer wants repeat customers. i just keep scratching stealers off the list. on my 3rd state now.

Back