free website stats program Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn? | Harley Davidson Forums

Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn?

RudyTwo2

I purchased a used 2009 Ultra Classic from a dealer in 2009 that only had 85 miles on it. The original buyer had a 103 Screaming Eagle kit installed by the dealership before taking it. The original purchaser didn't like it after taking it home so brought it back. Even though there was only 85 miles on the odometer it was considered a used bike becaused it had been previously registered and titled.
I specifically asked about the warranty due to it being a "used" bike and was told the HD Warranty was good for the duration of the 2 years. Well, 18 months into it the engine blew with 12,000 miles on it. I had the bike towed to a different dealer because it was closer and they told me the engine was junk and the 103 installed by the original was the stage 4 racing kit and that did void the warranty. My problem is that it was never disclosed to me that the warranty was voided due to that engine upgrade. In fact they told me it was under the full warranty for the balance of the two years.
The bike has been trailered back to the dealer that sold it to me but I haven't gotten the final word yet as to what they will do. However, they weren't very positive when we met.
Any suggestions before the lawyers get involved?

Got it in writting? The MOCO has turned its back on some of these problems and left the dealers hanging

I bought a used 05 ultra that had a 103 installed by the dealer. I signed a warranty transfer at time of purchase covering me till 2011. Had a new heavy duty starter installed just a while ago and no problem with coverage once they heard that I had a signed warrantee transfer. Hope you have too. Good luck, hope you have a decent dealer.

I have no warranty info in writing. Then again neither do they stating they disclosed anything about a voided warranty.

Did a warranty transfer with the wife's Buell when she bought it.
On the computer, we have a paper copy.

If your dealer didn't do this, and they also didn't specifically state
no warranty, I predict the lawyers will be busy.

Would also call the MOCO, at some point they will be dragged in anyway.

Hopefully you can work something out before going the legal route. If it comes to that, I would suggest that you enlist the aid of an attorney that specializes in warranty work. You might not be able to find one in your town, and might have to travel, but having a sit down with someone with experience allows you to find out the good and the bad points of your particular case. BTW, any attorney worth his or her salt, will give you a preliminary office visit to see if your case has merit without charging. Hope you can avoid the legal route because it is a pain.....

I would get in touch with Your Sate Attorney General office, they may help out.
That is IF you get UN favorable results from the HD dealer you bought the bike from....

signed....BUBBIE

I would get in touch with Your Sate Attorney General office, they may help out.
That is IF you get UN favorable results from the HD dealer you bought the bike from....

signed....BUBBIE

And may file a complaint with BBB

I bought my bike used and when I checked at the local dealer, they actually told me that I had the extended warranty. I did my paperwork by fax, sent hubby down to pick up the bike. There was a lot I didn't know back then. :s

It is my understanding that if the work was done on the bike by the dealer before the original owner picked it up, then all the work would be covered by the warranty. Maybe someone here could verify that? It might be worth asking about anyway.

Best of luck to you.

Back