free website stats program Void Warranty? | Harley Davidson Forums

Void Warranty?

glider.

BOT Machine
Too many dealers try to scare the customer/owner with a threat that if you use anything but their Syn 3 oil that it will void your warranty.

This is a bunch of lies.

Here's a letter from the MOCO that states so.

tn620s3.jpg

This letter was signed by Lisa Sagen, Powertrain customer service.

Also refer to these posts too...

Dealers And The Magnusson-Moss Act - Harley Davidson Community

Warrantee Denied/What To Do - Harley Davidson Community

Here's a better copy from the original letter.

Harley-Davidson's response to claims regarding warranty claims and voids for non HD oils used.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company
3700 West Juneau Ave.
P.O. Box 653
Milwaukee, WI 53201
414/342-4680

January 31, 2003

Aaron Scanlon
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880

Dear Mr. Scanlon:

Thank you for your recent letter requesting information on Harley-Davidson's one-year, unlimited mileage warranty when Synthetic Lubricants are used.

Until now, the Motor Company has never supported the use of synthetic products in our vehicles because there had never been any test validations completed on the numerous formulations in HD/Buell motorcycles to determine the viability of using these products on Harley-Davidson products until now.

We have developed a specially formulated synthetic fluid called SYN3. This fluid can be used in Harley-Davidson engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. This product had been exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson and is the only synthetic product tested and certified by Harley-Davidson engineering for use on HD/Buell motorcycles.

The use of a different brand of fluid does not void the one-year, unlimited mileage warranty unless it can be confirmed that the use of such products was the cause of the failure.

Thank you, Mr. Scanlon, for taking the time to write to Harley-Davidson and allowing me to answer your questions.

Sincerely,

Lisa Sagen
Powertrain Customer Service

Appreciate the Clarification .. Only once had a serious issue with a Warranty Defect on my 1989 Chevy Beretta when it had Bearing Damage and replaced the Engine which the Dealer by the way never even asked what Oil I was using although did ask a few service question records which had readily available.. Had 47,000 miles on it and 50,000 was the end of the Power Train Warranty ..

The Motor Factory cannot void your warranty for using different than specified Oils and lubricants, tires and even certain electronics. Even the ThunderMax Autotune module (which completely replaces your ECM), cannot by law, void your warranty.

I've seen dealers refuse to work on a bike equipped with that module, but that was due to their own ignorance of the ThunderMax.

But I have seen dealers void brand new warranties on their own by upgrading engines with parts that aren't covered. Without telling their customers, so they find out the hard way that their brand new bike, which is now broken, is going to cost another arm and a leg to fix.

Dealers can on their own, refuse to work on a bike equipped with something they are not sure of, until they are directed by the factory to do so.

One more thing, having another non-dealer shop perform your oil changes, tire changes, accessory installs or major mileage services does not void your warranty.

Back