free website stats program Virgina and West Virgina Fall trip | Harley Davidson Forums

Virgina and West Virgina Fall trip

BOBFLHTC

I usually take a 3-5 day trip down south by myself this time of year for almost 30 years to see the leaves change and to get away. This year a neighbor wanted to go along. So on Columbus Day weekend we loaded up our bikes on separate trailers and left NJ for Winchester Va. The nice folks at Winchester Harley let us park in their lot. Since my neighbor has never been south I thought he might enjoy the Skyline Drive to finish out the first day. It’s been 20 years since I’ve ridden it as it costs $10 for a motorcycle to ride the 105 miles through the park and I enjoy the Blue Ridge more but it’s still a nice ride.
The second day we continued south on the Blue Ridge Parkway to the intersection of route 77 North and stayed on it till exit 9 Princeton WV. We picked up route 460 North to route 219 North and rode till we reached route 64 at Lewisburg WV where there are plenty of places to eat and sleep.
The third day we continued north on 219 again to route 90 North just above Thomas. We then turned east on route 50 till we completed our loop to Winchester Harley on route 50.
While on the Blue Ridge we came upon a SUV and a bike parked with plenty of plastic littering the road. My first impression was a bike /SUV accident but it turned out that the SUV had just struck a deer and the other biker was trying to help so we continued on our way after a brief stop. The last day on route 219 we heard a siren coming up behind us and let the rescue squad pass and came upon another accident scene involving a deer and SUV where someone was hurt this time. My philosophy is that I try to ride responsibly and look to the Lord to watch my back. I wonder if loud pipes might not help too. We only saw 10 bikes the entire time in WV. Route 219 and route 90 are paved real nice and there are plenty of curves up and down the mountains to test your skills. The leaves were in full bloom.
It was chilly and threatened rain so I broke down and ordered a Firstgear 1 piece thermo waterproof suit when I got home.
In some ways it was nice to have company but I missed the freedom of being out on my own. I figure I spend all year trying to make a host of people happy so I can use some time to sort things out.

Route 219 out of Lewisburg and over Droop mountain is one of my favorite rides. I have a camp close to White Sulphur Springs, so I ride this road quite often. You can spend several days around this area on beautiful rides and never be on the same road twice. Wild, wonderful West Virginia!

Route 219 out of Lewisburg and over Droop mountain is one of my favorite rides. I have a camp close to White Sulphur Springs, so I ride this road quite often. You can spend several days around this area on beautiful rides and never be on the same road twice. Wild, wonderful West Virginia!

The deer in this area are abundant, so anytime you ride, especially in the early mornings and around dusk, you must be extra careful. We have noticed lately that there are a lot of deer moving around in the middle part of the day too. Wild, wonderful West Virginia!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome ride... I've been trying to get the time to do something very similar before I miss all of the color. Used to live 20 mins from the middle entrance to Skyline Drive, but am still in awe everytime we get back to ride through there.

You guys are making me homesick.:( I've spent many nights camping in them thar hills and touring on my bicycles....some roads, mostly on the mtn bike. Oh how I wish I would have had a camera on many of those trips. A winter project will be to scan some of mine & hubbies pix.

I used to just drive all over the state of WV to see the views from the roads, I have a couple of sweet swimming holes, if I can remember how to get to them, and now that I am more comfortable riding the big bike, :s, hubby & I are wanting to do some touring of WV in the future.

I've driven through WV a few times on routes 219 or 220 after traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I thought it was a nice contrast to the mountain ridges. I drove along the Ohio river a few years back too. I was looking to stop at the Hillsboro Cafe in Hillsboro but it looked like it was closed. A few years back I stumbled upon it while riding North on 219. It was a converted old fashioned dry goods store and it catered mostly to locals. Stay safe.

Wife and I took a long week-end trip starting on Oct 1 through the Va./W.Va mountains this year. We have ridden the Blueridge Parkway from end to end more times than I can remember... sometimes just certain section depending on how much time we have. Never been north of Peaks Of Otter on the parkway. We left Charlotte and took I-77 north to Fancy Gap Va.... there we got on the parkway and took it to the north end Waynesboro Va. The next morning got on Skyline Drive on the southern end and rode to the end in Front Royal Virginia... from there took hwy 55/33 all the way to Buckhannon W.Va. Saturday morning left Buckhannon and took hwy 20 south all the way to hwy 19 near Fayetteville W.Va. and stayed overnight in Beckley W.Va. Sunday morning I-77 south all the way back to Charlotte... from Thursday to home on Sunday 990 miles... GREAT RIDE and fantastic roads in upper W.Va. A great place to hide from the I.R.S. or anyone else who may be looking for you!!

Back